Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Illness/Sickness: Axolotl Red Leg or Injury?

szendibelu15

Reaction score
So,i woke up today,and saw that there is something wrong with his leg , its red but only at the tip of his leg ,also one of his fingers is missing, is it injury or red leg? I believe red leg shouldnt come with the loss of fingers,or does it? I can post pictures later,just wanted to make sure if anybody knows what it is after describing it

Now that im looking at it,its mostly the fingers that are red,not the leg itself

Hayleyy

Reaction score
Hard to tell from a description, I'll wait for a photo :)

szendibelu15

Reaction score
I tried taking some pics,but they are really bad,blurry,and such

But i believe that its red leg,because now his right back leg has the same red color,so what can i do? Is there any way to cure him without having to search for a vet? Also,his gills have a darker red color now

I believe red leg can be caused by contaminated food or water,right? It might be the food that caused it,because i fed him yesterday,and now even more parts of his legs are turning red,he cant even move them,so he is just floating,because he cant stay at the bottom,but my other axie doesnt show any signs of redleg,even though they are in the same water and they eat the same food,i think im gonna isolate him from my other axie,and should i fridge him? Also big chunk of his tail is missing,and it is starting to develop fungus

Last edited:

Hayleyy

Reaction score
I'll attach some recent posts about axies with red leg which may help you. I believe a vet trip is necessary as injections can help. Red leg is basically a septicemia infection, so you want to separate the infected one from any other tank mates. Fridging shouldn't do any harm, and will slow everything down, so you can do that until you can source a vet. If there is fungus on the tail salt baths will help, I'll link the guide to that too
https://www.caudata.org/forum/showthread.php?t=111821
https://www.caudata.org/forum/showthread.php?p=488724
salt baths: https://www.caudata.org/forum/showthread.php?t=72698
fridging: https://www.caudata.org/forum/showthread.php?t=85263
Hope all this helps, please keep us updated on his condition.

szendibelu15

Reaction score
Thanks a lot for these, i hope he is going to be okay,one more thing,what kind of vet works with these animals?

Hayleyy

Reaction score
It can be hard to find a vet who not only knows what an axolotl is, but how to treat them properly. Start by calling your local vets and ask if anyone there has experience with amphibians, specifically axolotls. If they don't, ask if they can refer you to someone else. It may also be worth reaching out to a university with a biological department, sometimes they might have vet contacts they can pass along. Also do a google search (or search the forum here) for amphibian/newt vets in your country/state/local area. Someone may have already found one :) When you get on to someone explain you think it is red leg/septicemia and will possibly need an injection (Baytril is what was used on the first link).
Keep a close eye on your other axolotl for signs, it may have been exposed. The earlier it is caught the better chance of survival.

szendibelu15

Reaction score
So,status update,i did everything,took him to a vet,he got his injections and now he is totally okay :D Thanks again for the help and everything

Hayleyy

Reaction score
Wow great to hear!! Would love to have updates in the coming weeks!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!