Question: Few new tank/ small axolotl questions.

Meatspider

Reaction score
Country
United States
HI all!
I wanted to thank everyone for the very informative posts on here. I used to keep many aquariums when I was younger and just decided to get a few axolotls. I had one many years ago pre Internet and didn't know how to care for it. I know far more now. Older and wiser. I set up a 40 gallon breeder with a fluval canister filter. Started a fish less cycle. Just showing nitrites after about 8 days. I had to try and speed things up as there is a breeder at an upcoming fish expo. Its going slow as the water is only about 65 or 67 degrees F. So unless I want to pay a significant amount for the variations I wanted and shipping I need to buy them sunday. I'm planning on keeping three of them, all 3 inch in size, In A 10 gallon until the big tank.is finished. They can't sustain the bacteria after the cycle. Does anyone know how much amonia needs to be In The tank daily to sustain the bacteria? I keep it about 4ppm currently to cycle it but thats high for them after the cycle. I know They wont be able to produce enough amonia. I'll be testing the water daily for a while I'm sure. Also I read white cloud mountain minnows and ghost shrimp do OK with them if they don't get eaten. Would they bother the smaller axolotls? A few of each would help. I'm going to add lots of plants as well. Thanks for any help / tips. Sorry for any typos. Auto correct and I are currently fueding.

Welcome!
Do you have any bottled bacteria to help the cycle along?
I don't know the technicalities of how much ammonia is needed to sustain the cycle to be honest, but would love to see what other people think! I'm having an issue at the moment where my 35 gallon is consistently showing readings of 5ppm of nitrates even a week after the last water change (tank has been cycled for months, ammonia and nitrite are both 0, and 2 adults live in it) so I'm trying to figure out why it's so low and whether I need more ammonia for the bacteria. My pH has also dropped dramatically, which I think has something to do with my live plants not absorbing the CO2 as I haven't had the light on too much.
Personally I like axolotl's in a species only tank. I've heard the minnows are generally fine but have seen instances where axolotl gills have been attacked and/or the fish being eaten by the axolotls and causing digestion issues. I've been looking into getting some shrimp for my planted tank (soon to be betta tank) and I believe they do need temps outside of the axolotl's range, so they may not be compatible for that reason.
Would love to see a pic of your tank as well once it's ready!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back