HELP! I thin my axolotl is turning into a salamander?

Alex19

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Hello guys i really need ur help!! I got an axolotl about a 2 weeks ago from a girl whose axolotls had babies. I got it without gills, so i thought maybe its brothers or sisters had eaten it but i wasnt sure because there isnt even stumps where the feathery gills were meant to be. So i went away this weekend and i got more axolotls from the same person. I got back and put my new axolotls in the tank and found that my one without gills looked different!! I compared it to its brothers/ sisters and found that its head was narrower, its eyes where not as sunken in its head, but more so popped out, it looked a bit skinnier and also it didnt have that tail that it like a fan (like a giant tadpole tail) but that it looked more like a lizard tail. It also has smaller brown dots all overs it body now! It is an albino pink axolotl. What do it do? What type of salamander does it turn into? Is is really going through metamorphism? Please help i dont know what to do since this is my first axolotl?

Hey i found a pic on the internet of what it looks like :
http://www.fishpondinfo.com/photos/amphibians/salamanders/jonsaly2.jpg

Last edited:
That certainly sounds like morphing. When they morph, they don't change into a different type of salamander; they're just axolotls that have undergone metamorphosis.

Reference this thread. Morphed axolotls can be treated essentially like tiger salamanders, which means you'll need to move it to a terrestrial setup.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back