Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

axie with lump on head

Bellabelloo

Julia
Staff member
Reaction score
Its hard to tell what it might be, if you are able to get another shot it will help...having said that if your axolotl is as co-operative as mine it'll be difficult!!. There are a few people on this forum who will have a far better idea of what the problem may be.
I feel that the seller has not been very imformative about the axolotl's condition ( its pretty hard to miss!), so I think you would have good grounds to return her if needed. Please keep us posted on how she is doing.

robsorchids

Reaction score
i took another pic, but its hard to tell from the picture,
you can just about see the lump and the folded skin over the eye.
http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/dd120/robsorchids/Picture085.jpg

yes i told the seller i was upset that he didnt tell me that this one had this problem, but he said he bought her like that.
it was a ebay transacation, so i wouldnt risk sending her back, nor do i think the seller would take her back either!

the other two golden ones look ok though.
i think all 3 of them are females?
http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/dd120/robsorchids/Picture084.jpg

thanks
rob

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I believe that this kind of sale is prohibited by the rules of eBay. See:
http://pages.ebay.com/help/policies/wildlife.html
I'd give this seller negative feedback for not disclosing the defect. But I think you are stuck with the animal, for better or for worse. I wouldn't even venture a guess as to whether this is a serious problem or just a quirky appearance that will remain stable.

This looks like a newly-setup tank? Be sure you understand about the cycling process:
http://www.caudata.org/cc/articles/cyclingEDK.shtml
And if you're an old hand at water quality, I'm sorry to mention it - I can't tell from your post if you are a newbie or an oldie;)

Best of luck with the new axies. The goldens look great.

oceanblue

Reaction score
Your golden ones look fairly healthy. The perils of E bay purchases! I don't think anyone can give you a firm diagnosis of this lump but here are a few things you should consider.

1. It could be an abscess or some sort of infectious parasitic cyst, which if it bursts could endanger other axolotls in the tank. If you have tank space keeping this axolotl separate to see if this lump is rapidly growing may be wise. If it is an abscess then a vet might be able to lance it, culture the pathogen and provide appropriate antibiotic treatment.

2. It could be a tumour (tumour is just a posh word for lump!) If it is then of the many different sorts a pigmented skin tumour is my preferred choice as this mass seems to be darker pigmented than the animal. Pigmented tumours are a nightmare to diagnose in humans and almost all other animals. It might just grow with the animal (a mole) or it might grow and spread, killing it (a malignant melanoma). A vet might be able to cut this lump out and rely on the regenerating powers of the axolotl to heal without a scar, and send it to a veterinary pathologist for a diagnosis.

This lump does not appear to be displacing or damaging the eye (and blind axolotls appear not to be distressed), and the animal is probably not stressed or handicapped by this lump. I'd be tempted to give this animal care and attention in a separate tank and see if this lump changes over the next few days and weeks. With luck it will not change much or grow slowly, if it really was like this all the time the previous owner had it. If you do go to a vet I suspect the fees and pathologist or culture and bacteriology will far outweigh economic sense.

I have just read Jennewt's post. E bay co uk allows "Aquarium or pond fish, snails or similar creatures." so it is probably an allowed similar creature, but give appropriate strong negative feedback.

Last edited:

robsorchids

Reaction score
hi im not a newbie to this,

i have a fishkeepers award, and have been keeping tanks for years, including axies.
i workded for a period in a aqauctics (wont be going back to that i tell ya!)

yes this is a new set-up but i have been cycling it for 2 weeks prior to the introduction of the axolotls.im quite aware of the nitrogen cycle.
the base is bare, as i dont like to keep axies on gravel or sand, as it makes it a whole lot harder to clean for me.

all of these have been vomiting up gravel from the previous owners tank, so this proves further my ditest of using any sort of substrate.
the poor things looks so anoyed to chuck up all that gravel.

he said he kept it for a year, and it had this, lump when he got it and the enveloped eye.
he said it had not changed.
but i was angry that he did not tell me this, nor did he mention this on the lsiting.

i can really give negative feedback, as i was the one who asked if he would post them to me.
but still, he really should have told me about her problem, as i certainly would not have bought her in a pet shop.
im very picky when it comes to choosing pets, i dont like them to have any deformaties that would make it harder for me to enjoy them.

im pleased with the goldens, they seem happy, i geuss i should just wait and see what happens with this lump, as surely if it were a parasite then it would have acted long ago?
you can still see the eye, wheather or not its still functional i dont know.
i shall keep a eye on her for any changes and will complain to him should the situation change.
he even had these with goldfish and clawed frogs!

looks like im stuck with a oddball, but i dont mind, i still got some nice goldens out of it.

thanks for your help
rob

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!