Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

caudal hedonic glands, prootic-squamosal crests

Otterwoman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
You're probably sick of hearing me start posts with this but...

I've been reading the Petranka book...
and came upon these terms. Anyone want to take them on?

caudal hedonic glands (they are a feature of E. bislineata)

prootic-squamosal crests

I'm taking the book in 20 page shots, because after that many pages I can't help but start skimming and I don't want to skim the book, I want to read it. I'm taking my moderator duties seriously!
After I finish Petranka, I have these books on the pile to work my way down:
A Natural History of Amphibians, Stebbins and Cohen
Biology of Amphibians, Duellman and Trueb (or should I switch the order of these?)
Handbook of Salamanders, Bishop
The Amphibians and Reptiles of New York State, Gibbs et al (which I already skimmed but will read)
Guide and Reference to the Amphibians of Eastern and Cetnral North AMerica (Bartlett & Bartlett)
(which I also already skimmed but will read).
I will get the new Wells book when it comes out in paperback, which Amazon keeps promising.
The more I read, the more interesting it gets. It's a whole new world for me, with my literature background, who would have guessed this weird hobby at my age.

I already look up a lot of stuff on Wikipedia, like about taxonomy, but it often quickly becomes more than I can understand. They didn't classify animals with DNA when I was in high school. Now everything's genetic. My boyfriend said, it takes all the fun out of classification. Anyway, thanks.
I'm rambling.

John

Founder
Staff member
Reaction score
Caudal hedonic glands are scent glands on the tail involved in mating I would assume. A Prootic-squamosal crest is an area of rough skin behind and above the eye, I believe.

Otterwoman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks, John! I realized later I might get my question answered in further books but it's nicer to know when I come upon it originally.

I think generally I have a pretty good vocabulary, but I've underlined a new word on almost every page so far in Duellman.

Last edited:

John

Founder
Staff member
Reaction score
Honestly I'm just doing "intelligent translation" of the Greek/Latin.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!