Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

My poor hideous hands.

allegoriest

Reaction score
Is this off topic? Sort of? Maybe? Not really? I have no idea.

Anyway.

I am an artist. But I can't settle for painting things, that's boring. So I destroy things. And cut things. And slice things. And often get myself. Then I go digging in dirt, because, well, I'm pretty sure everyone here does. My hands and nails are oh so hideous and full of cuts.

But then, I have small ponds. And occasionally sick fishies.

And, I don't wanna put my cut up hands in there. Diseases and all. (My immune system has some silly notion that I am the intruder, which is ridiculous, I've been here since they opened shop. They sort of make it a pain getting better.)

So what I'm saying is, do they make long rubber gloves? I mean, I want rubber SLEEVES. Rubber gloves are kind of useless when you reach into water past your wrists. I don't need to touch nuclear waste, I just need to not get filthy water on me.

...Considerably less important, does anyone know how to make my nails stop slitting from the whole dirt thing? They displease me like this. D:

Wow, you read all that. Amazing. Thanks~

Aaran

Reaction score
big rubber gloves?

What about those ones vets use on cows ?

Massive arm disposable gloves?

Could taping your nail help to support the nail and stop it from Splitting (sorry if this isnt the correct response to your nail thing just a thought )

and yes i did read all that! No problem, and as for if its off topic ive copied and pasted the forum subtext (if that is also the correct phrasing here)

Off-Topic Many people have requested an area of the forum in which to discuss topics not directly related to the rest of the forum (such as newt and salamander art).

:D hope this helps!

esnailme

Reaction score
I know how you feel with the nail splitting thingy. I had this problem as a child. I am not sure whether you are a male or female. However I am a nurse and have a few hunches.

Nail splitting depending on whether it is horizontal or vertical has more than one cause.

First off if the split is vertical it may be due to injury.

If the split is horizontal it may be caused by:

1) excessive wetting and drying of hands....usually seen in nurses, doctors and hairdressers a.k.a. beauticians.

in nursing school one of the 1st things we were taught was how to effectively wash your hands and how to protect the skin due to excessive hand washing.

if you are a female it may be caused by the type of nail polish you are using.

or it may be due to a medical problem. some disease processes affect the finger nails.

One thing that I know will definitely help is using vaseline or petroleum jelly to hydrate the nails.

one of my classmates from nursing school was also a beautician. when we studied the hair and nails she gave a tip that I will never forget for brittle nails:

1) Get a good hand moisturizing lotion e.g. vaseline lotion.
2) If nail are long and split, cut nails down low.
3) wash hands well with soap.
4) dry each nail and finger individually.
5) apply a dab of lotion to each nail.
6) be sure to rub lotion into each nail thoroughly.
7) take a clear nail polish with nail strengthener and apply to each nail.
8) let dry thoroughly
9) apply a 2nd coat.

note: this should last for 2 weeks. then remove nail polish with a moisturizing nail polish remover and repeat this treatment.

Drs foster and smith sell aqua gloves for about 15 dollars. If you are in a pinch for money.....I lucked up and got 12 pair of heavy duty professional gloves for 3 dollars. I would be willing to ship to you for the free. Hope this helps...Just let me know.

Felecia

allegoriest

Reaction score
Haha, I lost this thread and forgot where it was~

Mine are horizontal. My poor nails have been overexposed to probably... everything. D: And I was like, fine, I'll just put a clear coat of something on them, and maybe it will leave. But nope. D: So I will try what has been recommended. Thanks so much~

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!