Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

New Article: Grasshoppers and Locusts as Herp Food and Terrarium Subjects

Coastal Groovin

Reaction score
Are they really safe for Salamanders?. Their hard spiked legs and hard heads always made me think they could be a impaction risk.

findi

Herpetologist & Author
Reaction score
Hi Bill,

Good point, thanks for raising it. Nymphs/young stages of many species are fairly soft, and I've not had problems with the legs; however, care is necessary, especially when dealing with small salamanders. Tree crickets and some of the smaller terrestrial cricket species are also safe. If in doubt, you can pinch the rear legs at the "knee", and they will be shed, as happens woth House Crickets. Best, Frank

Coastal Groovin

Reaction score
When you raise red-legged grasshoppers how many offspring did you get from each female? Another question I have is do you think the eggs need to be frozen? They are laid only inches down in soil and must freeze solid for days and weeks during winter.

findi

Herpetologist & Author
Reaction score
Hi Bill,

I had only a few dozen from what were likely hundreds of eggs...freezing would be worth a try, as they are exposed to such temps in wild as you mention. They and Carolina Grasshoppers have wide ranges; I was hoping that a quick chill would be enough. Details vary by species...some temperate insects (Asian sp, mostly) that I worked with responded well to quick chills; Chinese mantid eggs will hatch without any chill (nymphs are great food for all sorts of small herps, by the way)...lots to learn. Best, Frank

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1