Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

2 new axies! woohoo!

C

casey

These are my two new axies;

melanoid - Sambuca
wild-type - Brandy

Friends...
52836.jpg

Brandy...
52837.jpg

Sambuca...
52838.jpg

And Stella... just so she doesn't feel left out...
52839.jpg

I keep saying "I love you Stella, just so she doesn't get upset" - Only axie parents would understand this - I hope no-one else catches me in the act! hehe

A

alex

hey casey, they look soo cute. i love the colouring of brandy i wish there were more melanoids here. and sambuca has a really nice dark colour also, reminds of velvet for some reason?!?.

C

casey

Thanks Alex.

I haven't seen many melanoids here - I was lucky that my dad found a new shop that had one.

I know what you mean about the velvet - I think she might have had a bit of heat stress due to the temp of the tank in the shop - hopefully it will clear up - i think that whiteish colour on top of the black makes it look velvet.

I love them heaps!

D

denise

i love your to new axies. i am looking to get a second axie for my milkyway, i was considering a wild type but now that i have seen sambuca i might try and get a melanoid. how much did you pay for each axie and did you quarantine them and for how long.

J

jojo

Ohhhhhh!!! Congrats Casey!!
They look great!!!
Sambuca looks like velvet!! TOO CUTE!

C

casey

Denise - they were $25 each. My dad bought them for me but I wasn't allowed to quarantine them. He didn't want them in his fridge and it's too hot in Victoria at the moment to have them in a bucket of water.

I just have to keep a very close watch on them. I would have liked to quarantine them for 30 days - that's what I did with Martini - but she ended up getting sick anyway.

I like how Sambuca's gills are all uneven lengths - I think it makes her look dorky, but cute.

I've noticed Brandy keeps "hiding" - usually on the filter or it's output. Does anyone have any idea why she might be doing this?

R

rob

ur new axies look really nice
happy.gif
love the colour of Brandy
happy.gif
wish i could find one like that, if i did dont think i could resist not getting it
happy.gif

C

casey

Yeah, I love how her gills are like a crimson colour and the rest of her is like a murky green/brown with tinges of yellow! She's really cool.

I think I've got a great little family now - let's hope one of them turns out to be male so I can have cool little axie babies!

Y

yan

53271.jpg
leg of the male
diference between male & female

(Message edited by yan on February 07, 2006)

S

skylar

Its not the leg - its the cloaca.
Also these axies i think are juveliles and you can't tell till they are almost full grown i think.

J

jojo

LOL ive only just saw Alex's post now about the velvet. i didnt see it! See everyone thinks he looks like velvet!

I think its just the texture of this skin, i love it Casey. Again - very nice selection!
Come to think of it.. i havent seen many melanoids here either **hmmmm**

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1