The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Notices

Axolotl tank set-ups, filters, substrate Discussions on tanks, temperature, filters, gravel, lights etc.

Old 11th January 2019   #1
TunaPips

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: TunaPips is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Tank Chillers- Has anyone attempted DIY?

As the Australian heat increases during the summer (42C, 110F predicted next week) I am finding my chilling fans just aren't keeping my tank temp down enough and I will need a chiller, especially before next week.

I don't know about other countries, but over here chillers start at about $250, which I don't have disposable right now. I've seen videos making DIY chillers (much cheaper and energy efficient) using a mini fridge and tubing etc.

I was just wondering whether anyone had actually done this or tried this? If so, did it work/is it effective?

Alternatively, if anyone has any constant cooling methods other than fans/chillers, please let me know!! Thanks

TunaPips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2019   #2
Austin
(DeCypher)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Comments: 0
Rep: DeCypher has shown reliable knowledge
Default Re: Tank Chillers- Has anyone attempted DIY?

http://www.caudata.org/cc/articles/cooling.shtml
Check out #7 with the water cooler. I tried to find the thread where someone did it, and explains its full build and installation but couldn't find it. The idea is pretty simple, just using a water cooler for drinking purposes but as an aquarium chiller and relaying the cold water back to the aquarium.
I live farther north so I just use a couple clip-on desktop fans and it lowers the temp by 3-4 degrees F.

Old 22nd January 2019   #3
Hayley
(Hayleyy)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Comments: 1
Rep: Hayleyy is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgHayleyy is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgHayleyy is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgHayleyy is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgHayleyy is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.org

I know EXACTLY how you're feeling with this heat. Luckily I was on holiday in NZ so didn't have to deal with it haha. This is my first summer with a chiller and honestly it is worth the money when you can get one. I left it running while I was away and Steve was nice and cool. The fans just never did enough in the past, and the frozen bottle method is not realistic in an aussie summer haha.
Do a search for diy chillers in here. I have seen some posts before, I'll try and find them for you. How big is your tank?

Hayleyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th January 2019   #4
Hayley
(Hayleyy)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Comments: 1
Rep: Hayleyy is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgHayleyy is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgHayleyy is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgHayleyy is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgHayleyy is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.org

Found some more info for you! What kind of filter are you using? It will be easier to rig up something if you use an external filter but you can make it work with whatever filter you have.
https://www.caudata.org/forum/showthread.php?t=112036
https://www.caudata.net/forum/showthread.php?t=44265
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n5s8...GJuUUhgZaiGZkQ

Hayleyy is offline   Reply With Quote