Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

N.v. piaropicola and viridescens

J

jordan

I've had a pair of N.v. viridescens (Red-Spotted Eastern Newts) in a nice big tank for a couple of years. Now I'm planning to add a pair of N.v. piaropicola (Peninsula Newts) to the tank. Does anybody see any compatibility issues here? How about any changes I might need to make to the tank (e.g. temperature)?

A

alberto

Hi Jordan
Wow you have a pair of N.v. piaropicola! You are one lucky guy! They are native to Florida but I have never seen them and I have been living in Florida for many years! But I have had the opportunity to talk to several Conservation Biologist and they have told me that the Peninsula newt is very common away from urban areas!
The Red Spotted newt, Central newt, Broken striped newt and the Peninsula newt are all one species!
I do not think you are going to have any problems. But be very careful!
Good luck!
happy.gif

J

jennifer

I see a couple of issues that you should think about. One is disease. The new newts should be quarantined, and even then you won't know for sure if they carry something that newts from another locale haven't been exposed to. Another issue is that the two types will cross-breed, so any offspring would be a mix. Another issue is size, as adult eastern newts can vary widely.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!