Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Tylototriton yangi courtship

mr cyclone

Reaction score
Does anyone know if tylototriton courtship happens on land or in the water?
I am asking about the mateing ritual not the egg laying ,thanks

sde

Reaction score
In the water I think. I am a bit confused, haven't you bred Tylototriton verrucosus before? You have sold morphs before...which makes me think you bred them, or did you just buy the eggs? Anyway, I would be surprised if they didn't court in the water. I have read that T. verrucosus tail fans in a way similar to Triturus newts, but slower, which wouldn't make sense if it wasn't in the water. -Seth

frogman

Reaction score
Mine courted a lot. Always in the water. They circled around each other until the male dropped a spermataphore. I never saw any tail fanning.

FrogEyes

Reaction score
Some tylos appear to mate and lay eggs on land. It's not clear what species these are, although the name T.verrucosus has been applied to at least one such population.

mr cyclone

Reaction score
I ask the question as I know Frogmans courtship was aquatic but also I've been told of numerous occasions of the courtship being on land ,both is true for which I've heard of certain types of T shanjing and /suspected T shanjing.
I have mature T.yangi at the moment and show little interest in the water I know it's the wrong time of year for them, they are being kept semi aquatic
Watch this space

frogman

Reaction score
This time of the year I am slowly transitioning them to a terrestrial tank. They will re-enter water in late spring.

Evan

mr cyclone

Reaction score
I found spermataphores today 1 on a flat stone on the land and a cloud of it in the water today .
I believe it is sperm,Any comments welcomed
Thanks

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    100.3 KB · Views: 450

frogman

Reaction score
I don't believe that the one in the water Is a spermataphore. The one on land could be but I never saw anything like that with mine so I have a feeling it is something else. Their sperm was always small and in the water with mine.
Best of luck to you all the same!

Evan

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!