Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: Found Tiger Salamander with Odd Skin

geckers

Reaction score
geckers-albums-wild-caught-picture37317-salamander-found-inside-shaw-pipe-close-up-odd-wrinkles-sept-15-2015.jpg

Hi everyone! My boyfriend found this little guy at work yesterday inside the building, hiding in a pile of rust. It's getting cold here already so rather than relocating him, we decided to add him to the collection. I have a captive bred tiger salamander (Ambystoma mavortium mavortium) already, so I know how to care for this new one, but he (Ambystoma mavortium melanosticum, I'm guessing?) has really deep wrinkles all over his body and looks extremely dry. He had a good soak overnight and he rummaged around his quarantine bin and ate a few butterworm larvae and moths right off my tongs, and his poop looks fine. I'm just worried about the wrinkles. I've enlarged his elbows in the (hopefully) attached picture for a better look. He also has them on the back of his neck, tail, throat, feet, and around his eyes.

Is he going to shed? Could it be parasites? Is it just going to take time after being in such a bad environment? Or is it normal for this subspecies? Any ideas?

Thank you very much!
-Ashley

TatoTesla

Reaction score
I don't think it's anything to worry about. I can't think of any parasite off the top of my head that has this kind of affect so I don't think that's what it is. I think wrinkly skin is pretty common in tigers.. Especially in wild ones. I don't think there's anything big to worry about :)

geckers

Reaction score
Thanks for the quick replies, everyone! I'll stop panicking now and just make sure he has access to a shallow water bowl at all times for now and we'll see if it improves. He's definitely eating well so if it's from lack of food that problem will be sorted out in no time. I'll keep you guys updated with any changes, but he seems to be doing just fine.

Thanks again!

geckers

Reaction score
So it's been just over a week since this little guy came home, and he's doing very well! He sat in his water bowl every night for a few days and the skin smoothed right out. It took him a while to realize he could burrow into the substrate, but now he gets nice and deep, so I took the bowl out and he's been getting moisture from his surroundings. He's eaten absolutely everything I've offered him, from earthworm segments to crickets, and his reflexes amaze me every time. He's much faster than my captive bred tiger. His poops look fantastic and I haven't seen a trace of anything nasty on him yet.

I'm currently contemplating moving him in with my other tiger. I read that sometimes even three months isn't a long enough quarantine period. How long should I wait? Should I just keep them separate? My captive bred tiger is in a 30 gallon plastic bin, so there's enough space for two, but I'm worried about anything not visible that the wild caught guy might be carrying.

Opinions?

Thanks again!

Sith the turtle

Reaction score
Keep him separate for a few more weeks. He still could have some un-noticed illnesses, so probably Oct. 10th would be a good day to move him

jbherpin

Reaction score
If it were me I wouldn't introduce this new salamander into the same enclosure. They can be enjoyed in separate enclosures just the same without taking unneeded risk. They do not seek companionship, only stable, quality living conditions. Both will feed more comfortably and will be far less stressed in their own enclosure.

Also, who is captive breeding tiger salamanders?
I have a captive bred tiger salamander (Ambystoma mavortium mavortium) already, so I know how to care for this new one

JBear

geckers

Reaction score
I think I'll just keep them separate then. Thanks!

I was told by the importer that it was one of his contacts in Texas. I have no idea if he's telling the truth but the little guy I bought from him is in exceptional shape. I'll ask if he's willing to share his contact's name.

geckers

Reaction score
Well it's been seven months since I took Shaw in, so I figured we were overdue for an update.

Here's some pictures I just took:
Shawapr2016_zpsig8sil1e.jpg

Shaw230416_zpshhou3z1g.jpg

He's gained 30 grams since I found him, his skin is much smoother, and he's doing really well in captivity. He regularly gets earthworms, mealworms, waxworms, butterworms, crickets, and roaches to eat, and he's a VERY enthusiastic feeder. I'm guessing he's going to live quite a while yet!

As for news regarding the place I bought my other salamander, Squee, well they've been in deep trouble for animal abuse.

Here's a link to one of many articles regarding the place: Over 300 exotic animals seized from Riverfront Aquarium | Calgary Herald

So I have no idea if my other salamander was indeed captive bred, or they just told me that to make the sale. The importer there never did tell me his contact's name, and selling wild caught tigers in my area is complicated, if not illegal. He's still doing really well and still looks great, so I'm not concerned about him in any way, but who knows where he originally came from.

Donna001

Reaction score
As I only joined the forum last month this is the first time I've seen this thread.
What a great read. Rescuing the little fella and looking after him. He's so cute and his little face in the last picture is adorable. Thanks for the update. :D

geckers

Reaction score
Thanks guys! He's the cutest little guy. When I open his cage lid he scuttles out of the soil and looks right up at me in case I have snacks. It's adorable :D.

jewett

Site Contributor
Reaction score
So I have no idea if my other salamander was indeed captive bred

There are people who have tried for years to breed this species regularly in North America, with very little success despite optimal conditions and feeding. I think it's safe to say that your other salamander is wild caught :)

HJ

geckers

Reaction score
There are people who have tried for years to breed this species regularly in North America, with very little success despite optimal conditions and feeding. I think it's safe to say that your other salamander is wild caught :)

HJ

Yeah I have this odd feeling I got a little ripped off. He's a great, gorgeous guy, but the price I paid reflected the fact that he was sold as CBB. Oh well. I love him to bits anyway!

Squee1_zpsqflcl4yk.jpg

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!