Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Things you wish you knew when you started?

CarnationCrab

Reaction score
Hi everyone!

I pick up my first Axolotl tomorrow, so I was wondering:

What are the things you wish you knew when you first started keeping Axolotls?

I've done lots of research, but I'm curious to hear from you guys!

Oh, and, wish me luck :) I'll post pics!

Hoagii

Reaction score
I wish I was more familiar with tank cycling and upkeep. I've made good friends with the guys at the local aquarium shop, since they constantly see me with a new problem xD

I also wish I'd known before getting my lotl how'd darn attached I'd get to the little guy

auntiejude

Reaction score
I wish I'd known not to waste my money on river rocks. And I wish I'd known how much rubbish was about on the internet - misinformation, inaccurate or out of date info - and whose advice I could trust.

CarnationCrab

Reaction score
I totally understand the attachment thing! I have had her for one day and I'm already in love lol. She's a cutie but is a bit camera shy so once I get a good picture then I will show you. Of course, I'm calling her a she, but I actually have no idea what her gender is.

On another note, I'm having trouble keeping her tank temperature low. It's in the mid 70's right now and I don't know what to do! Any ideas?

Donna001

Reaction score
I'm currently using a combination of a fan, mesh lid and frozen water bottles.
If you can move the tank to floor level, or if you have a basement, that will also help a little.
Keep the room as cool as possible, keep curtains closed, use a fan.
Without buying a chiller unit it is not easy to keep the tank cool during a heatwave, and don't forget that fluctuations in temperature can also stress your axolotl.

CarnationCrab

Reaction score
I'm currently using a combination of a fan, mesh lid and frozen water bottles.
If you can move the tank to floor level, or if you have a basement, that will also help a little.
Keep the room as cool as possible, keep curtains closed, use a fan.
Without buying a chiller unit it is not easy to keep the tank cool during a heatwave, and don't forget that fluctuations in temperature can also stress your axolotl.

Unfortunately, I live in an apartment, so I don't really have a lot of wiggle room as far as relocating the tank goes. I am keeping the room as cold as I can, and I have the fan, mesh lid, and frozen water bottles trend going! Axie seems to be doing alright, moving around and eating, thus far, so I'm hoping for the best until the heatwave ends. :)

Donna001

Reaction score
It was similar here last week when we had a mini heat wave. I also found that doing water changes with water from the cold tap (dechlorinated), rather than leaving it equilibrate to room temperature. Depending on how large your tank is this will also help, but if you have a large tank be prepared for large water changes.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!