Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Feeding Daphnia inside Newt's Tank?

stanleyc

Reaction score
Are there any ill effects of adding yeast or green water to the tank to prolong the Daphnia's life and maybe even reproduce?

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I think that live green water shouldn't hurt water quality. But I agree with Davo that something like yeast could have a negative impact on water quality.

Nathan

Reaction score
I agree with Jennewt. Daphnia will also find other things to eat in the tank; there are always bacteria and protists in an aquarium. The trouble is the speed with which newts eat the daphnia; it's hard to keep a population going unless the tank has a low newt density and lots of cover for the daphnia. If you really want to keep live daphnia going in the tank, it is worthwhile to install a refugium, such as saltwater aquarists use for "pods" (assorted micro- and mesocrustaceans).

blueberlin

2010 Research Grant Donor
Reaction score
I used to feed Daphnia with a tea brewed from stinging nettles (brew a bunch for 10 minutes, freeze it as ice cubes for later). I've read that spinach tea works, too. The problem I see is that, to the best of my knowledge, Daphnia require a pretty high oxygen flow and an aerator might disturb the newt?

-Eva

Nathan

Reaction score
They do fine without aeration unless you are keeping them at very high densities.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1