Neutering axie??

sherrisixxx

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Display Name
Sherri
Hi, I was just thinking is it possible to neuter an axie so she will not have babies? I know this is done to cats, dogs etc, but have never heard it being done to axies or similar? Or can they be put on 'the pill', like pet birds(like budgies) can be given food that stops them from laying eggs???

OMG,what an out of it question,I think you will find abstanence is the only form of contraception for axies,so keep them apart.Could be wrong but I cant see any vet wanting to do such an invasive op on an axie.

very much doubt it without some disgusting hormones, i dont think an vet would be willing because it would be so fiddly, doubt an axie would live through such a thing.

keep em apart it the best way i say, nice and natural for them

Yes, separation of males from females is the only method I know of for axolotls.

Plus it might be possible the axie would "regrow"
the removed organs maybe?

Ah,ok. Sorry about my strange question. It's just that I really would like to get another axie, but still don't know whether Axelina is a boy or a girl!( I put her/his pics on Axie gallery a few months ago, but nobody here could tell for sure either). I would feel terribly quilty if they laid eggs and I would have to cull them...

dividers are what ya need then!! i know they might look a bit ugly but if ya want two in the same tank and no possibility of bubbas then thats what you should be lookin at
happy.gif

And keep in mind that just beacuse they lay eggs doesn't mean they will turn into babies. Eggs can make for a good food source, especailly for newts

Hi, I was just thinking is it possible to neuter an axie so she will not have babies? I know this is done to cats, dogs etc, but have never heard it being done to axies or similar? Or can they be put on "the pill", like pet birds(like budgies) can be given food that stops them from laying eggs???

What you're talking about doesn't seem like such an outlandish idea. Seems like that would be an extremely valuable tool for breeders. Selling sterile axies means you can sell as many as you want from the same parents and you don't have to worry about inbreeding between those progeny or about your axies monopolizing the gene pool.

It would also be a great way to separate the dabblers from the more serious, educated breeders, similar to how the dog and cat industries currently work. If buying an axie that retains it's breeding abilities was significantly more expensive than buying one for your personal enjoyment, then there would be less careless breeding, and more selection for desirable, positive traits (like increased tolerance to chlorine and ammonia, or more vibrant colors). Yes, I'm all for ethically practiced eugenics.

Speaking in more practical terms, chemically induced "morpholotls" might be sterile. The only morphed axolotls I've heard of on this forum that actually bred after having morphed were F1 axolotl/tiger hybrids (not the same as chemically morphed axies). I'm not speculating as to the ethics of doing this, but from a business standpoint, I could see it making a lot of sense. It sounds like that's what an Australian pet store was doing here in this thread.

I agree with the idea of selective breeding and somehow controlling the gene pool for the advantage of quality animals. I thought the question was quite appropriate and, while surgery seems a bit extreme, it's possible to create a sterile animal using some chemical method. This would take more knowledge than I have but seems like an interesting research question. Perhaps it's already being tried. Have you "googled" it up?

I've heard that if you put any living mammal (this might work for amphibians too?) in front of a cooking microwave all the sperm will die off and thus they will become sterile. It's only temporary in humans, but for axolotls it might work. I'd be careful because of cancer risks and whatnot.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back