My new pyrrho - identification needed !

WilliamBlake

Reaction score
Country
France
Hi,

I got a new monster saturday !

Could you guys telle me your guess about which sex and subspecie it is ?

imgp5722.jpg

imgp5725p.jpg

imgp5738.jpg

Hi William, the forum software has blocked your image links due to the host's advertising policy. You can upload them as attachments directly to your post or add them to your profile gallery and use the IMG tags from there.
- Mark

It does look like the sasayama sub-specie. About the gender: It's not that good to see on the pics. I would say an immature male, although at the French forum they say (probably) a female.

Damn this forum is quite complicated :confused:
I can't edit my first message...

Thank you Joost for your guess, I hope you're wrong because i really want a female :eek:
Interesting fact there was about 25 small pyrrhos at the store and only 4-5 seemed to be females. The seller told me it was always like that. Strange.

I'm quite happy cause he/she went to the water and ate worms this morning, he/she was VERY hungry
And now it is totally aquatic so i guess he's happy to be there.

Attachments

• IMGP5722.JPG
    IMGP5722.JPG
    133.5 KB · Views: 445
  • IMGP5725.JPG
    IMGP5725.JPG
    153.1 KB · Views: 445
  • IMGP5738.JPG
    IMGP5738.JPG
    165.6 KB · Views: 447
The sex is quite difficult to determine from your photos, although based on the belly pattern (vertical striping pre-white dot development) and lack of prominent paratoid glands I would edge towards it being a sub-adult female. Males also develop a kind of curtain edge of bobbled skin around the flanks of the belly which I don't see here. There is however something distinctly male looking about the rear legs and vent region. Perhaps a close up shot of the cloaca would be more conclusive.

See the attached Sasayama newts, the two males on the left have very prominent glands on the head and rough edging to the belly. The female on the far right has small paratoid glands, which don't even feature in the photo, and a smooth edge to her belly, giving a more rounded look. Males have large cloacae even out of season and the paratoid glands become obvious at a very early age.

The second image of a male swimming shows the bobbled orange edge along the belly flanks more clearly.

Attachments

• cynops bellies_small.jpg
    cynops bellies_small.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 1,296
  • IMG_8422.jpg
    IMG_8422.jpg
    234.4 KB · Views: 615
Thanks for your informations. Your pictures are great.
So some say it's a sasayamae and some say it's not. Lets see.
If it's a male i won't keep it though, i already have 4 males and only one female

I'll try to post more pictures but i dont want to disturb it too much for now.

Hi William,
I send you an e-mail in this afternoon.
I'm interested in males sassayamae.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back