Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Bloated axie?

T

tom

Hey

I got my first axie at the weekend. I did quite a lot of research before buying, most of it on axolotl.org and this forum (thanks!).
But I'm kicking myself for missing the fact that a fat axie could be very ill. I probably should have chosen the healthiest looking one but I couldn't resist taking the little guy that looked like it was getting chewed up by the others. His bitten gills and tail look like they're regenerating already but he was a little round when I got him and seems to be getting more swollen. The bloating posts and page on caudata.org have given me the fear, but he was on gravel at the shop, and has passed gravel since so should I be more worried about that? The swelling seems to occur from the front legs to the back legs. There is at least one bump which I think is gravel but other than that the swelling is quite regular. I'm going to attach pics, sorry about the quality. It's a shame, I was hoping the first pics I'd post would be in the gallery.
At the moment my axie (I haven't named him yet) is in a temporary tank with 100% water changes daily. They don't add chloramines here so I've just been aging the water for a few days. My main tank has just a trace of nitrite but should be cycled in a matter of days. The temp tank is at 18c. I have been feeding earthworms every other day. His appetite isn't huge, eats 2-3 3cm worm bits at a sitting. He is about 5" long and reasonably active. Doesn't seem too distressed or ill.
If anyone can give me any advice or tell me I'm worrying about nothing I'd be very grateful. Thanks,

Tom

73767.jpg

73768.jpg

Tom,
I added a line between the jpeg loads so the whole post fits on the screen.

Ed

(Message edited by Ed on November 24, 2006)

N

natashja

im very sorry to write this but your axie looks just like my littel
angel.gif
shyla who diede a week ago from what my vet told me was kidney faliur.
but since it might be a bacterial infection i would find a vet asap.

i really hope that the little boy makes it.
angel.gif

G

genevieve

I can't answer your questions about bloating, but I can tell you that 100% water changes are a bad idea. You need to establish a bacteria culture in the tank to convert ammonia (etc). His gills are pretty short- I feel bad that he was picked on at the shop. I can't blame you for buying the little loner though, haha, I would have done the same thing! It's great that you got him out of the gravel- and don't think he is done passing it yet! After I rescued one of mine it passed stones up to 3 months later! I've heard worse cases, too. Anyway, welcome to the forum and I wish you the best of luck with your axie. Good job being a responsible axie owner and seeking care information!
happy.gif

kapo

Reaction score
Genevieve, his axie is in a temporary tank at the moment, which is why he's doing the 100% changes. His main tank that he'll go into is still cycling.

As for gravel, ours still seem to be pooing out gravel. They've been on sand for the past 9.5months.

Whether the bloated/roundness is to do with the gravel or not, I couldn't say. If you hadn't said anything I would probably have thought it was normal from the top photo or maybe had a bit too much to eat. (not much help sorry). What is the tank temp he's being kept at?

T

tom

Thanks for your support and your kind welcome. Sorry to hear about Shyla Natasja. I've got my fingers crossed that it's not that serious, the worrying has made me quite attached to him already. I'm going to look for a vet but I'm a student and I don't have a lot of money for treatment so I'll have to leave that as the last resort. I'd have to borrow the money from family.
I put him in the fridge last night after reading some other posts, he passed one bit of gravel overnight and looks a bit thinner, less rounded with more irregular bumps. Still bloated tho, if it could be bacterial I have some waterlife myxazin somewhere that i've never used, would it help to add a little of that to the container he's in? Axolotl.org says it's safe but I don't know how much, if any, I should use or if it can even help internal problems.
The temperature in the little tank was 18c, dropping slightly at night. Fridge thermometer reads 8c. Knackered old fridge I guess but okay for axies I think. I checked the water in the main tank today- A=0 Nitrite=0 Nitrate=5 pH= 7.6-the Nitrate seems low but I do have lots of plants so I think it's cycled. Is it a good idea to keep him in the fridge or should I move him into the main tank where he can move around? Main tank temp is 20c, was higher to aid cycling and should drop more now that I've taken the heater out.

N

natashja

i would keep him in the fridge for a few days to see if any thing changes and i wouldnt add anything to his water.
as for consulting a vet you could try to call a zoo some times they have vets who will help for free.
also dont you have rspca or blue cross to help if you cant afford a vet

T

tom

We have rspca but I didn't know they did that, I'll have to look into it. If anyone reading this in the UK has any experience with that please let me know. I don't think there's a zoo nearby.
The swelling has continued to go down in the fridge, also maybe because he doesn't want to eat at that temperature so far. If it's a serious problem do you think he'll just swell up again when he comes out of the fridge? I'm not sure how long I should wait before I let him warm up so that he'll eat.
Now that he's thinner theres a small lump sticking out of the side of his stomach a little way in front of his back leg. Is this probably gravel?

kapo

Reaction score
Could be gravel. You could try feeding him before you do a waterchange. Our fridge is always round 5-6deg C, so found it was too cold for our axies to eat. But a few people have managed to feed them with temps as low as 9deg C.

Maybe wait a couple of days to see if he rids the body of the lumpy gravel before putting him in the cycled tank. Make sure to let his container come back to room temp b4 adding him tho when you do.

N

natashja

lol.gif
im so happy to reade that the swelling is going down i will really keep my fingers crossde for you.
angel.gif

all the best wishes

T

tom

Thankyou. He passed two more stones in the fridge and got quite skinny but once I put him into his tank he got quite big again by the next day. He also cleaned all the little pond snails out of the tank overnight and ate two worms tho so I don't know. After two days in there he looks like he's got a bit thinner again but still looks a bit swollen (but only around the middle, not the neck or cloaca). It's hard to tell because with his little gills he's gulping air a lot and seems rounder (and more bouyant) after he does so. Do they usually look bigger after they gulp air or am I imagining that?! He looks a lot happier in the tank, sniffing around on the sand and stalking shrimp very badly. As he seems to be getting smaller again today I'm going to keep watching for a few days and if he looks like he's blowing up badly again or looks sick I'll see about taking him to a vet.

Z

zee

Dear all,
I am also seeking some help.
My Axie is about a year old. Few days ago is the poor thing started floating on the top of the water, bottom up.
The water was a bit cold, but as soon as I realized it I put the heater in.
Now he is on the bottom, but still jumping and strugeling. He does eat though!
What do you think the problem is?
Thank you in advance
Zee

J

jennifer

Zee, the cold water is not the problem! Take out the heater immediately!!! In fact, one of the best treatments for axolotls is to be put in the refrigerator (this is recommended by experts, such as the Axolotl Colony in the US). Right now, my axolotls are being kept (very healthy) at 9C. They love cold.

The more likely problem is water quality - how large is the tank? Can you test the water for ammonia?

Z

zee

Jennifer,
thank you! To tell the truth I cannot test the water. May I just boil water cool it back and change the whole amount?
Do you think that bad food or gravel from the bottom caused the problem?
What should I do? I was told that the temperature should not be less than 10C as their digestion system stops working and they die! Is it true?
Thank you in advance
Z

J

jennifer

At colder temperatures, their digestion slows down, but does not completely stop. They can live long-term in the refrigerator (I know someone who did this, but I am not sure exactly what temperature the refrigerator was). My cold axolotls eat at 9C. They breed as soon as the water begins to warm a little in spring.

The problem could be caused by bad food, bad water, or gravel. They can eat gravel and their digestive system becomes blocked.

If the water may be bad, yes, you can change it. It is better to change it gradually, not all at once.

Why do you need to boil your water? Is that how you remove chlorine? There are MANY details about keeping healthy aquarium water, and I cannot explain it all here. Can you find some person in Hungary who has kept aquariums for a long time, understands your local water, and can explain to you the best ways to maintain water quality? It's very important. This may help, as a beginning:
http://www.caudata.org/cc/faq/FAQwat.shtml

A

adam

Tom. Glad your little guy is feeling better. I noticed that above you guys were talking about contacting RSPCA or a Zoo for help. RSPCA always seem to be pretty rubbish!! If you have any probs in the future you might want to give "Tropical World" in Roundhay a ring. if you're at Leeds uni i'm guessing you live in Headingly or Hyde Park? roundhay is not not too far away (20 mins on bus, LS8). They have a couple of axies and they looked really healthy and happy when I went home for christmas! They may be able to help.

Z

zee

Jennifer,
I have fish for many years - about 25. I know that the tap water in Hungary is chlorinated. I usually boil and cool the water back to normal temperature to remove chemicals.
I add some "dechlorinator" as well.
The real problem is unknown for me as my fish always be healthy and comfortable in the tank. But, I never had an Axo before. What could cause the floating? Like he's got too much air in the lungs. He fights going down, but comes right back.
I try to call the local zoo to recomend a vet.
Thank you very much anyway!!!
very-very nice of you!
Z

loki0309

Reaction score
Hey,

Just wondering if anyone knows the outcome for Tom's axie. Sounds very much like what is going on with Fester.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1