Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: Morphing axie??

Lovely Axies

Reaction score
Hey, I think my axolotl might be morphing. Or am I just paranoid?? :confused:
The water parameters are fine and my other axie in the same tank is fine. Nim has been getting skinny because of refusing to eat, her eyes are bugging out and gills and tail fin thingy have shrunk. Also this morning she was sitting on the bottom of the tank with head tilted up and mouth opening and closing. She is a goldeny-yellow colour (if that has anything to do with it?!) Do you think she is morphing?? And if she is what should I do to make it easier for her???

Thanks, I'm a paranoid axie parent at the age of nearly 15 :eek:

Lovely Axies

Reaction score
I will try to get a picture soon (tonight or tomorrow) She has been off food for. . . two weeksish? But before that she was eating very little and getting annoyed when I tried to feed her.

Lovely Axies

Reaction score
Yes, but her gills are even nubbly-er (if that's a word) and she's thinner (because of not eating, I have honestly been trying really hard to keep her healthy and she was fine until recently =[ )

This morning I have noticed some weird behaviousr of my other axie who seems fine. She was half swimming half trying to claw her way up the side of the tank to the top and the floating back down. Then she kept trying to wedge herself into the coener of the fishtank. What does this mean??

Last edited:

Jenste

Reaction score
Some questions about your set up:
1) How big is your tank?
2) Do you have a filter on your tank?
3) How often do you do a water change and how do you do one?
4) What temperature is your tank?
5) What substrate do you have, if any?

Bellabelloo

Julia
Staff member
Reaction score
You say your parameters are fine, but could you tell us what the readings are for ammonia, nitrate, nitrite and what the current temperature is?
Sorry for the all the questions, but they may lead to an answer. A picture of your axolotl and tank set up will help enormously.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1