Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Siren Intermedia Substrate and Co-Habitation

timothy214287

Reaction score
So I've done a lot of research on this, but I am still foggy on. I don't know what substrate to use. I have seen to get stones big enough that they cannot be swallowed, but then they cannot burrow. I have also seen gravel or sand which they can burrow in, but could swallow. Then there's dirt which is the most natural option, but then the water will inevitably become too foggy. As far as multiple in the same tank I know it is strongly advised against and I plan on staying away from it, but I caught two males and kept them together for a few days before I found out and they were totally peaceful. They never once attacked each other. I am just curious under what circumstances people have been able to successfully keep them together

manderkeeper

Reaction score
I have found some in the wild. They live in flooded ditches along the side of the highway. Sometimes the ditches dry up in the summer and I assume they borrow at that time. I don't think rocks would be a great substrate given what habitat I know them from.

Coastal Groovin

Reaction score
Sand is fine for them. Any that is accidentally consumed is small enough to pass through their digestive system.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!