Injured axolotls

PiperH

Reaction score
Country
United States
Help please. I have 2 one year old axolotls in a 40 gallon tank. Their tankmate the past 6 months has been a 14 inch plecostamus and had not been an issue. However, recently he began chasing them out of his area, or so I thought. This weekend I came in and they both were missing spots from their sides. At first I thought the got caught on a piece of rock. But I came back to find him attached to my baby Ixi.

I've separated the pleco and have treated the water as per the local pet store with melafix and stress coat. But I want to be sure I'm doing all I should or can do to help them. They look positively dreadful and it's breaking my heart.

They haven't eaten in 3 days, which I'm sure is because they feel as bad as they look. And I'm getting very disturbed with the condition of the injury sites. I would be eternally grateful for any guidance.

Dawn and Piper
Mobile, AL

Attachments

• IMG_20190715_194147.jpg
    IMG_20190715_194147.jpg
    605.2 KB · Views: 1,233
Help please. I have 2 one year old axolotls in a 40 gallon tank. Their tankmate the past 6 months has been a 14 inch plecostamus and had not been an issue. However, recently he began chasing them out of his area, or so I thought. This weekend I came in and they both were missing spots from their sides. At first I thought the got caught on a piece of rock. But I came back to find him attached to my baby Ixi.

I've separated the pleco and have treated the water as per the local pet store with melafix and stress coat. But I want to be sure I'm doing all I should or can do to help them. They look positively dreadful and it's breaking my heart.

They haven't eaten in 3 days, which I'm sure is because they feel as bad as they look. And I'm getting very disturbed with the condition of the injury sites. I would be eternally grateful for any guidance.

Dawn and Piper
Mobile, AL
I hope everything turned out ok in your situation.

I wanted to reply here to say your description helped me identify a similar issue with my axie. We had her in a tank with a pleco, too. We left for the weekend and then saw similar marks, but weren't sure how. We're fridging her and treating her with doxycycline to prevent infection. We'll be separating them from now on

Attachments

• PXL_20231027_134956399.jpg
    PXL_20231027_134956399.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 74
  • PXL_20231030_123347996.jpg
    PXL_20231030_123347996.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 73
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back