Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Ohio Hellbenders...

Andy Avram

Reaction score
I have been a forum reader for many a year but have only recently begun to post.

This has been posted on another forum before, so some of you may have seen it already, but if not I hope you enjoy.

I tried unsuccessfully in 2005 to find Ohio Hellbenders (I have seen them in PA before) and decided to try again this past summer.

July 8, 2007, we are in the middle of large drought in Ohio and the streams are running low and the weather is running hot. Perfect for stream walking. I made my girlfriend, Jess, come with me, despite some of her objections. We hit the stream early afternoon and I began flipping the biggest rocks I could. I was looking for areas similar to what a friend who found them in the area had described and what I found my PA benders in.

We were getting to the end of our rope (and I had to bribe Jess with a restaurant of her choice if she found the first one) when we came to a perfect looking area. A large cliff against a deep hole in the stream with many large rock chunks. I flipped a large rock and waited about a minute and a half before scooping my net through the silt. Nothing. Reluctantly I put the rock down and turned around the lift another large one when it materialized out of the depths. A giant Hellbender was crawling towards me and the rock pile. Whether I spooked it out and it was returning to the rock pile or if it was just wandering I can’t say but either way I was screaming Hellbender as I guided it into the net.

Many pictures were taken and once when grabbed it opened its mouth and tried to bite, those suckers have TEETH! But overall it was pretty cooperative. I believe it may have impaired sight, or blind as its eyes seemed white and distant. A seamstress tape measure put it at just over 21” and part of its tail was missing, so I would guess an honest 2’ individual. After letting the beast go it slowly crawled around the deep hole as if it wasn’t sure where to go, again I think it was blind. We walked a little further but saw nothing more.
Now to the good stuff… the pictures!

The beast in all its glory!
20077-81.jpg

Check out the eyes, you can vaguely see the cloudiness.
20077-82.jpg

The release…
20077-89.jpg

Off he goes…
20077-85.jpg

Here is his rock pile.
DSCN0545.jpg

Lastly, me looking on as the creature goes back into his watery lair.
DSCN0556.jpg

Fast forward a month and half. I was lucky enough to jump on part of the 2007 Ohio Hellbender survey on August 30. We were going to meet up at 12-noon, which meant I didn’t have to wake up at the butt-crack of dawn to make the 3 hour drive. I still ended up getting there an hour early so I wandered around a nearby cemetery. I always find those places morbidly fascinating. Finally, people start showing up and with a crew of 7, including myself, we drove to a nice section of stream and hopped in.

Habitat shots.
Habitat1.jpg

More habitat shots.
Habitat2.jpg

Pretty quickly we found an adult Queen Snake, unfortunately, my camera is inside 2 bags and on the other shore so I didn’t get pictures. Regrets. The snake had a few water blisters on it and lots of nasty feces from it and of course lots of people held it but only I got bit.

A few minutes later a large rock is lifted and one of guys is snorkeling in the stirred up silt and BAM! first Bender of the trip! Due to an unfortunate series of circumstances the salamander was lifted from the net for some pictures and with a flick of its tail it was sailing through the air to freedom. Last I saw it was hell-bent (<-- how’s that for a pun?) on disappearing. A little while and a Bullfrog later another HUGE rock buried in the muck was lifted and another Bender was captured. This time it was put in a bucket and taken to shore right away for processing. This one was probably about 20” in total length and was a recapture as told by a pit tag.

Here is a shot of the team hard at work.
IMGP0531.jpg

The release.
20078-304One.jpg

That is an awesome head.
20078-301One.jpg

After some more searching and nothing we moved a few miles downstream. A relatively small rock was lifted and the smallest Hellbender I have ever seen was captured. This one measured about 10-12” in total length. Also the Hellbender that made it official that I have now seen more Hellbenders than Mudpuppies (what’s up with that?). Nothing else herp-wise was seen that trip but a few possible Hellbenders were seen by one of the leaders as he snorkeled around.

In a bucket.
IMGP0533.jpg

In a stream.
20088-308Two.jpg

As a parting shot here is one of me with the larger Hellbender, also one of the few pictures that include me with an animal (that is what happens when you typically have the camera). Picture by Katy G.
Hellbenders21200331.jpg

Andy

Otterwoman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
What a riveting story! Very exciting! And I loved the hellbender pun (though the "Dawn" image I can do without, ha ha). What a great job you have.
Dawn O.

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Andy, thanks so much for putting up this amazing field experience. This is EXACTLY what we were going for! It's awesome that you've found these guys. And it's even more awesome that you found a little one. They're getting more rare than the adults. I'm heading out this spring to Tennessee/Georgia with hopes of maybe finding one (Spring Break in the Smokies with the Nerd-Herd. Can't beat it!)

Andy Avram

Reaction score
Otterwoman, glad you enjoyed the story and my humor. Unfortunately, this wasn't part of my job, but my job sure does give me some credentials so that people will allow me to tag along on their exciting work (be it Massasaugas, Fox Snakes, Lake Erie Water Snakes, Hellbenders...).

I_love_ - There is definately some luck involved but it also entails ALOT of research and alot of dedication. I put in alot of hours before finding my first Hellbender. But once you get the eye for the habitat they aren't terribly difficult if you are in a stream with a population (I wish I could say the same for Mudpuppies).

Kaysie - Glad you enjoyed the story. The outing where we ended up finding 3 is unfortunately the only stream where breeding has been documented recently in the entire state of Ohio. Our smallest at around 10" is still many years old (possibly even a decade). I am not sure if any nests or babies turned up at all this year.

Andy

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Well, I still hold out hope for the snot otter. If we could only stop dumping junk into our rivers...

Andy Avram

Reaction score
I too hold out hope. Obviously, habitat destruction and modification is the singlemost threat to US amphibians (and most wildlife) and the two people in the picture kneeling over are vets working on building an outdoor stream enclosure for a zoo to try and breed Hellbenders in captivity.

Andy

Bellabelloo

Julia
Staff member
Reaction score
This was great to read as we recently watched a ducumentary about the plight of these wonderful creatures. The photos of them are awsome. Many many thanks.

chensel

Reaction score
That was an awesome story....

I live in Chicago now but am orginally from Chattanooga TN. I began searching for Hell Benders a couple of years ago after I took a couple of herpetology classes.(thats how I found this site) I get home to Chattanooga a few times a year and the past couple of years I have been searching for them in several places I thought would be good spots for them. I found my first last summer( A small one!) and went back this summer in hopes of finding more but that part of Tennessee is in terrible drought and some areas are completely bone dry and one of the areas I frequent is now contaminated with e.coli bacteria. I was wondering if any one might have any information on the plight of these animals in and around Chattanooga?North Georgia too.
Thanks.

Andy Avram

Reaction score
Bella and Chensel,

Glad you enjoyed the post. Chensel, unfortunately I don't know much about benders in the southern states. There was a few day workshop in Wheeling, WV this past year (I didn't attend unfortunately) and one of the guys in the picture took some of the particiapants to the stream I was in and people were shocked that benders could survive in streams as silty as that (and that stream is relatively clean for Ohio). That may be why we have little or no breeding in the state though.

In the southern Appalachians alot of the streams run clear and cold so I imagine they salamanders are doing much better. Also, other posts I have seen in that area people usually find more and babies.

Andy

John

Founder
Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks for this Andy, it is as Kaysie said, exactly what we love to see here. My colleagues here were quite impressed with you holding one. Of course I couldn't resist showing them this Andrias photo (courtesy of Tim Johnson and Caudata Culture at http://www.caudata.org/cc ):
A_japonicus3JOHNSON.jpg

Andy Avram

Reaction score
John, glad you enjoyed the post. Field herping is where my heart is. Love that picture of the Andrias. One day I need to get down to Cinncinati Zoo or one of the few others that have Giants on display (or just get out to China or Japan and find them myself). Where was that Giant pictured?

Shane, if you are from Missouri and find a Bender it may be a very good find indeed, especially if you get the right subspecies.

coendeurloo, glad you enjoyed.

Andy

John

Founder
Staff member
Reaction score
Andy I understand your fondness for field herping: I have found it has grown on me since I've moved to the US.

Tim's photo was taken in Japan. I'm not certain where - a search of the photo area of the forum (not the User Galleries) should come up with the original post describing that. You might have to search the "old" forum. If memory serves, there are several Andrias japonicus threads there by Tim.

Again, thanks for sharing ;).

lims

Reaction score
I feel how you both feel too.
I am kind of re-discovering ''field herping'' under that name.
Used to be called ''pond dipping''. I think it's the same except now I'm 22 instead of 12.
I used to just go with a net and a tank thinking nothing of it. Now it feels like I know why I'm there and what I'm looking for (although still an amature herpetologist).
So basicly it feels the same but different. Like I went on a big loop ending up where I started but older after a journey.
Anyway, love it, feel quite deeply about it, there's no-one around, your head is clear, just you, the great outdoors and the caudates...

Slimy2

Reaction score
hi

Those are some neat hellbenders. They look huge, did you find any small ones?

The only hellbenders in my area are the Ozark Hellbenders and according to some of the park rangers around here their numbers are decreasing due to pollution. Sad.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1