The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Notices

Old 31st March 2009   #1
ODell

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: ODell has started on the right path
Question Adult newts eating daphnia pulex.

I ordered some starter cultures of daphnia pulex a while back and have been adding to a tank I have with both adults and larvae. Of course my objective was to feed the larvae, but it seems my adult notos really go for the fully grown pulex. I am not in the least concerned by this, as i find it amusing and don't see the possibility of this being detrimental, but i was wondering if anybody else has had this experience, with notos or any other species?

ODell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2009   #2
Johnny O. Farnen
(SludgeMunkey)
Site Contributor

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 42
Comments: 9
Rep: SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11
Default Re: Adult newts eating daphnia pulex.

"If it moves, they will eat it."

I have seen this in a quite a few of the smaller animals. My axolotls on the other hand, start to ignore them right around the 2 inch length zone.

For real laughs, unleash some Daphnia magna for the adults. They will go crazy for them.

SludgeMunkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2009   #3
Morg
(morg)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 1
Comments: 1
Rep: morg is a mainstay of Caudata.orgmorg is a mainstay of Caudata.orgmorg is a mainstay of Caudata.orgmorg is a mainstay of Caudata.orgmorg is a mainstay of Caudata.orgmorg is a mainstay of Caudata.org

All of my newt species adults love eating daphnia

www.punkradiocast.com/
morg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2009   #4
ODell

Nationality:
Rep: ODell has started on the right path

I new I wasn't the only one who has seen this happen, and got a kick out of it. I think I will try it with magna, when i get some. One of my males seemed to be chasing them (and catching them) all day, and now I can see why this isn't a regular practice (feeding of daphnids to adults), as he ate quite a few and put on almost no visible weight. Do you think magna would be more substantial in this respect?

ODell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2009   #5
Peraka
(PereJosa)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 29
Comments: 2
Rep: PereJosa has given consistently good advice and informationPereJosa has given consistently good advice and informationPereJosa has given consistently good advice and information

Hello

All my adults newts, eat Daphnia (cynops sp., paramesotriton sp., triturus sp.) My big size newt is the Paramesotriton Fuzghonensis, and love Daphnia all Daphnia ( inclusive like the little Daphnia). My P.chinensis and fuzghonensis stay hidden many time, the days are Daphnia, it's easy see the newts.

Bye

Old 7th April 2009   #6
TristanH

Nationality:
Rep: TristanH has given good advice and informationTristanH has given good advice and informationTristanH has given good advice and information

My adult newts also love larger Daphnia and will happily polish off any spare. However, I tend to keep small foods like this in reserve for the babies - adults are equally happy with something a bit more substantial and I think it's a bit of a shame to waste my valuable Daphnia on something that will polish off an earthworm!

Tristan

TristanH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th April 2009   #7
Joseph S
(fishkeeper)
Field Herper

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 2
Comments: 4
Rep: fishkeeper is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgfishkeeper is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgfishkeeper is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgfishkeeper is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgfishkeeper is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgfishkeeper is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgfishkeeper is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgfishkeeper is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgfishkeeper is considered an Authority at Caudata.org

The smaller species(Lissotriton, Notos, etc.) eat large quantities of it in the wild and it suits their hunting style(mainly visual hunters).

Triturus cristatus and similar will go for them but are not as good at it as smaller newts.(depend a lot on smell for hunting).

fishkeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th April 2009   #8
OZIRIS
(OZIRIS)
Asian Newt Group

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 1
Comments: 2
Rep: OZIRIS has given good advice and informationOZIRIS has given good advice and informationOZIRIS has given good advice and information

My cynops love eating daphnia, and I love watching them hunting. In this video you can see some attacks:

[youtube]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/XvjK9nqSApU&hl=es&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/XvjK9nqSApU&hl=es&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/youtube]

Regards

Old 7th December 2009   #9
JM29

Nationality:
Rep: JM29 has given good advice and informationJM29 has given good advice and informationJM29 has given good advice and information

Hello.

I confirm : I've never seen an aquatic caudate not interested by Daphnia.
And, depending on what the Daphnia actually fed on, they can be a carotenoid source (interesting for partly red caudates).

Friendly.
JM

JM29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2009   #10
Crystal
(kenya_1977)

Nationality:
Rep: kenya_1977 has shown reliable knowledgekenya_1977 has shown reliable knowledge

I've cultured both Daphnia magna and D. pulex and find that the pulex is far more robust as far as creating a stable culture and a quickly multiplying one, and the size difference between them isn't much. I do know that the CB N. kaiseri I just got love them!

kenya_1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2010   #11
firefly

Nationality:
Rep: firefly is an unknown quantity at this point

Should my 7 days old larvae be eating small daphnia by now please??

firefly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2010   #12
AJ
(caudatadude28)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 14
Comments: 21
Rep: caudatadude28 has given good advice and informationcaudatadude28 has given good advice and informationcaudatadude28 has given good advice and information

Very small daphnia. For the first week or two I find bbs(baby brine shrimp) are the best food. Are your larvae 7 days old since hatching or since eating? If they have been eating for a week I think they could daphnia easier.

caudatadude28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2010   #13
Justin
(Greatwtehunter)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 298
Comments: 24
Rep: Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11

They should have no problem eating smaller daphnia. I like daphnia better because they will live in the water with larvae and won't foul up the water like baby brine shrimp does.

Old 27th March 2010   #14
stanleyc

Nationality:
Rep: stanleyc has given good advice and informationstanleyc has given good advice and information

Do daphnia pulex and/or magna have enough nutritional value to be worth feeding to adult C. Orientalis as a supplement. I feed earthworms and tubifex/black worms to them right now.

stanleyc is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
adult, daphnia, eating, newts, pulex