Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: Anything that won't eat minnows?

Infinitii

Reaction score
I have a fish tank around 40 gallons that I originally bought to house Axolotls and is full of plants and hiding spots with a soft sandy substrate. I bought some bite sized minnows in advance because I wanted to get something that wouldn't bother them and they could occasionally eat. Unfortunately my nieces are now very attached to them....

So I know its a dumb question that's likely to get a no but are there any predominantly aquatic salamanders or newts that won't gobble them up or would at least be unlikely to? The only type I could find was the dwarf siren which after a lot of searching and research seems impossible to get in the uk. I don't mind moving the fish to another tank but wanted to check first.

Thanks.

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score
There are several species that are very unlikely to catch any healthy fish, such as any Cynops, Lissotriton and even Triturus. They might eat the odd one but i wouldn´t expect them to at all, they are not fast enough in general.
You also need to consider hwo many fish there are in the tank and which species they are. Caudates and fish are a terrible mix except on very rare ocassions. Depending on the species and the quantity of the fish, putting caudates in that tank might be risky.

Also, if you do get some newts, please look for captive bred ones. All the newts you can find in any pet-shop are wild-caught and a poor choice for a beginner.

Infinitii

Reaction score
I have six fish in the tank, a mix of White Mountain Minnows and Rosy Reds. I wanted a small number so as not to stress out the animal I kept in there but is that still possible? I've had them for nearing two months now and they haven't shown any signs of illness.

Thanks for your help and for your advice on pet shops. I'm hoping to buy through a breeder instead now.

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score
I think both of those species are fine. I know the Tanichthys are, i keep a pair myself, and i think i heard the Rosy reds are ok too. 6 of those in a 40 gallon tank is a very sensible number.

There are LOTS of breeders in the UK, so you sholdn´t have any problem. You can find several in this very forum.

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I'd suggest perhaps setting up a separate tank for the fish (and for your nieces);) Those 6 fish could be happy in a smaller tank, something like 40 liters.

Infinitii

Reaction score
I picked up another tank today so I have the option of moving them over. I was planning on buying a small tank to keep and breed some shrimp in so I would have ended up with another one sooner or later.

I'm going to go for the Marbled Newt, if I can get hold of it. Thanks again for the advice. Its been a great help.

SludgeMunkey

Reaction score
Rosy reds are touch and go. When they are smaller they pose no threat. Once they reach adult size, some males become "nibblers" at which time they should be removed or fed to an axolotl as a treat.:D

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1