Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: Can axolotls be raised with beef/chicken (the stuff we human normally eats) as the main source of food?

Eve8

Reaction score
I just got two 2" axolotl babies. The only type of live worm I can easily get is meal worm and my my axolotls won't touch it. They will accept blood worm and brine shrimp (freeze dried and frozen) but they are hard to feed because they float and are messy. I found my babies LOVE little bits of raw beef (rice size). They gulp it down so fast, the water stays clean and there are no mess and no waste at all.

In my research, I've read meat can be offed. My question to the seasoned and experienced axolotl keepers: Is it okay to raise axolotls with cut up raw beef/chicken, the most common type of meat we human consumes, as the MAIN source of food on a LONG TERM basis?

purplemuffin

Reaction score
Have you tried sporting stores (Academy, etc.) or walmart for earth worms? They usually have them in the fishing section, even if pet stores don't.. Just an idea!

blackdog

Reaction score
I'd probably survive eating worms and axolotl pellets.

Doesn't mean it would be the most nutritious or pleasant diet for me..........

yellowpebble

Reaction score
haha, ew. but the question is.... if that was the only thing left for you to eat and survive on - would you? :D

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
The main problem with raw meats is that they contain zero vitamins and minerals. They are a good source of protein, but not a good staple diet.

Some other options might be Rangen salmon pellets (do a forum search to find places that sell them by mail) or small frozen WHOLE fish.

And check your local Walmart for worms (ask in the hunting department).

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!