Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Best ways to keep Ambystoma Tigrinum healthy?

Teeglor

Reaction score
I found a ambystoma tigrinum (tiger salamander) in September of 2014. He seems quite healthy, but I would like to keep it that way. I would like any tips you can give me on keeping him healthy.

I am also wanting to get him another tiger as a tank buddy. How long should I leave it in seclusion away from my current sallie? 1 month? 3 months?

I am feeding him night crawlers, red wigglers, wax worms, shrimp, pill bugs and beetle grubs. What foods should I try? What foods should I stay away from?

Should I be giving him vitamins and calcium? Currently I am not. If so, what types and brands would you recommend?

I have light over him for about 8-10 hours a day. This light is not for heat or basking. It is a "natural light full spectrum daylight bulb", 13w. It gives off very little heat. It has no UVB. It does have UVA.

The terrarium he is in is 90 x 45 x 30 cm / 36" x 18" x 12", and that's his upgrade from a 10g tank.

Any tips would be great! Thanks!

Attachments

• 20.jpg
    20.jpg
    74.8 KB · Views: 679
  • 16.jpg
    16.jpg
    102.1 KB · Views: 432
  • 17.jpg
    17.jpg
    98.7 KB · Views: 464

manderkeeper

Reaction score
I kept barred tiger salamanders in a basement for many years. They are not very demanding, just need to be fed but not overfed, have access to moisture, and to not be overheated. I did not bother with any lights for mine.

Teeglor

Reaction score
I kept barred tiger salamanders in a basement for many years. They are not very demanding, just need to be fed but not overfed, have access to moisture, and to not be overheated. I did not bother with any lights for mine.
Did you ever give them any vitamins are calcium supplements? And do you know anything about the quarantine period that should last between introducing a new tiger?

C

Cliygh and Mia

And do you know anything about the quarantine period that should last between introducing a new tiger?

The minimum for the quarantine period is 30 days, but the typical maximum people choose is 90, but you can go up to 100 or 200 or whatever you choose

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!