Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Whats wrong with my axoltol?

obiwankenobi

Reaction score
I've got two axoltols who are about 4 inches right now.
Earlier today I moved my tank to a different side of the room. In order to do this I had to empty it out. I filled up the tank again and made sure the nitrates, nitrites, and ammonia were at the right levels. As soon as I put my axoltols in the tank they BOTH began doing a motion almost like heaving. I made sure they didn't have anything in their mouth, there is nothing in the tank for them to get in their mouths anyways. After doing this for a few moments they both began thrashing around. Their water is at 64 degrees like it has always been. I think they are stressed but want a second opinion. Also some advice on how to calm them down? I feed them some bloodworms and they both ate well.

Bellabelloo

Julia
Staff member
Reaction score
It seems that something is irritating them.
When you replaced their water, what did you add to it? Where the axolotl acclimatised to the new water? Have they settled down now?

obiwankenobi

Reaction score
Only thing I added was the usual water conditioner that I use. They aren't freaking out anymore but they do still seem a little stressed.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1