Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Herpele squalostoma. We have worm sign.

Methos5K

Reaction score
I recently acquired a Congo caecilian; and I wanted to share. I purchased a heavy-duty 40 quart Hefty plastic storage bin with latching lid. I drilled 7 holes (3/8") just under the lip of the lid horizontally on the longer sides of the container. A piece of fine window mesh was taped over these with duct tape. I attached a medium sized Zilla heat mat to the outside bottom of the bin; then plugged that into a Zilla habitat thermostat. Temperature is set to 82F. The inside of the bin is filled with a 5" deep layer of CareFresh Pet Bedding. It is heavily moistened with treated tap water; but not so much as it is water logged. The top is covered with a layer of cork bark flats. The caecilian is young; about 7" long and thick as a pencil. I sort out the smaller of bait-shop purchased Red Wigglers and put them in every two weeks.

ignatz

Reaction score
How is the animal doing? Have you heard of anybody ever breeding these successfully? Where did you get it? Thanks!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!