Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Axolotls in tubs, Can i not fridge them

Locke

Reaction score
Hey everyone. I have a new tank cycling and didnt want to stress them through the process so I have them in tubs. I put a glass of water in the fridge and set it to 7. After 4 hours the water was sitting at 4.2C. I understand that Axies shouldnt be stored in lower than 5 degree water. That was the highest my fridge will go. Can I keep them out of the fridge and just keep a fan on em, keeping them at about 68F? I am doing daily water changes since they are tubbed but I work 10 hours a day and dont want them going toxic while I am gone. Thanks everyone. It will be short term until my tank settles down.

Locke

Reaction score
Update: The axies are loving life. They are chillin in tubs in front of a standing ac unit that is keeping them at 62-64F. I am doing water changes every morning and night. I give them 15 mins to feed before the nighttime water change. I set up a 55 gallon rain barrel and have it chilled to the same temp and dechlorinated. I have a pump in the bottom circulating so I can do total water changes whenever I want without disturbing them. As far as the tank goes the Ammonia is steadily rising. I have added just a pinch of food every evening and adding stability every morning. I have yet to see any sign of Nitrite or Nitrate but it has only been 3 days. I turned the cooling off on the cycling tank in hopes of speeding up the process. I have the lights on a 6 hour cycle and the tank currently hosts 4 balls of marimo moss, 3 balls of java moss, 5 bundles of java fern, and I have frogbit up top to disperse the PAR.

KumquatSquats

Reaction score
Update: The axies are loving life. They are chillin in tubs in front of a standing ac unit that is keeping them at 62-64F. I am doing water changes every morning and night. I give them 15 mins to feed before the nighttime water change. I set up a 55 gallon rain barrel and have it chilled to the same temp and dechlorinated. I have a pump in the bottom circulating so I can do total water changes whenever I want without disturbing them. As far as the tank goes the Ammonia is steadily rising. I have added just a pinch of food every evening and adding stability every morning. I have yet to see any sign of Nitrite or Nitrate but it has only been 3 days. I turned the cooling off on the cycling tank in hopes of speeding up the process. I have the lights on a 6 hour cycle and the tank currently hosts 4 balls of marimo moss, 3 balls of java moss, 5 bundles of java fern, and I have frogbit up top to disperse the PAR.

you seem to have things under control, nice work!
if you are able to get ahold of some pure ammonia (i ordered it online) it can help speed up the cycle process, i try to dose up to 4ppm then wait until it goes down below 2ppm before i add more. bottled bacteria is nice too, i use stability but becasue my cycle was taking FOREVER i also bought a bottle of bacteria (dr.tims, it was like $7 online)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
    Shane douglas: with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred... +1