Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Axolotl 1 month without eating

YepYep

Reaction score
Hi, I am in trouble with a Leucistic Axolotl that he doen’t want to eat from about a month.

He is a male, 2 years and he has always be in good shape, I have no gravel, only sand and anubias, coconuts for house and my acquarium is 100cm x 30cm, about 100 L, with 1/2 water inside. I have 1 other male and 2 other females in the same acquarium, but all eat with regularity every 3/4 days.

The water parameter are safe, I have a 7 PH a 3 KH and comes from the commercial bottles, so no ammonia o clorine. I feed them with earthworms and trout (the last one is the primary aliment for my Axies).

I have put him 2 Times in the freezer at 6/8 degrees, the first time for 2 days (no changes) the second time after 3 days, for 3 days at the same temperature (no changes). Now he has tried to eat some shrim, but he has spit that after one night.

I don’t know what to do, I need your help. Tanks.

Murk

Reaction score
Hello!
Axolotls are quick to stop eating when they're grumpy. From your description, I can see several reasons that might make this axolotl grumpy, so let's start out with those.

- First, can you take a reading on ammonia, nitrites and nitrates? I understand that the water you put in is clean, but ammonia (and through it, nitrites and nitrates) build up in the tank because axolotls poop.
- Linked to that, 50L of water doesn't sound like much for 4 axolotls. Too little water is harder to keep balanced and clean, and it also means the axolotl could be stressed by being too close to the others. You do have hides, which is great, but it could be that the axolotl doesn't have enough space. For four axolotls, you'd want at least 150 liters.
- Third, sand is generally safe, but the axolotl could still be impacted. Does he still poop?
- Fourth, earthworms are a great staple food. Trout... not so much. Fish, shrimp, etc. are all nice as snacks every now and then - they're fatty, which axolotls like very much. It's not a balanced meal, though. It misses a lot of minerals and vitamins that axolotls do need (and which are present in whole-food, like worms). It could be the axolotl is just sick of all the fatty food. Do you have acces to something small, like blackworms, bloodworms or even a load of daphnia?

I'd say the best course of action now would be to put the axolotl in his own space. If you have a big tub or spare aquarium somewhere that would be great. You don't need to fridge him, just give him time (at least a few days) on his own to relax and destress (in clean water). See if he's still pooping (and if there's sand in the poop). Try to give him small and easy food (something that is small and moves is best to trigger appetite), but don't pressure him.
If you could give us current readings on ammonia, nitrites and nitrates, that would help too.

YepYep

Reaction score
Tanks. Today I’ve putted him in a big plastic square bowl, in the room where I have the airconditioner. Now I wait to see if he poops or not. In the 100L acquarium I changed a 50% of water cause the Nitrates was too high.

The guy seems fine If you see him, it doesn’t look like an Axolotl that doesn’t eat by a month, this fact reassures me a little bit. Maybe I have also a spare capsule filter, I think that I’ll put that into the Axolotl’s bowl, cause it’s better for him (and myself) than do all days a water change.

Now we need to wait and see, If I can I will post some photos of the little guy here. ��

YepYep

Reaction score
Nothing has changed, he desn’t want to eat... I don’t know what to do. Help. ��

YepYep

Reaction score
I have an update: the Axolotl has done what is seems a weird poo, transparent with a filament and two little green things inside.

What’s this? It’s normal? There are some photos:

FF8DA3E9-C46C-4873-8A7C-BD8FF84566C8.jpg
37554FF8-4402-4160-89AF-96D4FA3C7EDE.jpg
52A09DDC-9CAC-4D08-8924-2C6EEE3DFD8C.jpg

Thank you, I wait a quick reponse. I hope we can save this poor little guy

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1