Japanese Fire belly Newts - feeding

Katiebertrand3

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello!

I am raising 7 Japanese fire belly efts. I am new to this. My 25+ year old newts decided to have babies and now I am raising them as a complete newbie. I was able to get them to the terrestrial eft stage. After weeks of not eating I finally got them to eat springtails and flightless fruitflies. I want to feed them live earthworms but they will not eat with me hand feeding them. Is there any way to cut up the worms and just leave them in their aquarium. Or how do I get them to eat? It seems like they just eat things that are left in the aquarium and alive. Any help with this stage would be wonderful.

Thanks,
Katie

Yes, you should be able to leave chopped earthworms for them. Although I don't work with fire bellies, I have had success feeding terrestrial marbled newts that way. Chop the worms small, drop them in the enclosure, and mist to encourage them to hunt. You could try putting the worms on a small plate, but I don't find it necessary.
Other small foods to try include tiny dubia, crickets, isopods, and bean beetles.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back