Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Dave from Sydney, Australia

DavidF

Reaction score
Hi all

I'm Dave and just signed up. What a fabulous resource the creators have put together in this website and the members have added a huge amount of info too in the forum.

I'm from Sydney and am 38. I have 2 boys aged 5 and 6 and want a pet for them. I had an Axie as a kid and loved it. My sister is giving me her old unused 3 ft tank and I'm going to set that up with a few axies in it. Hopefully they'll even breed. My parents have a pond that gets tadpoles in it fairly regularly so I'm thinking my axies will have some nice food from time to time and my boys love getting dirty in the pond catching the tadpoles.

I'm not sure what colour Axies to get. I guess I'll figure that out later.

Cheers
Dave

petlover516

Reaction score
Welcome! A lot of breeds to choose from...Original? Albino? Leucistic? Golden Albino? Melanistic? Or.....Green Fluorescent Protein!

DavidF

Reaction score
Thank you. Seems like a friendly bunch on the forum.

I'm not sure about colour. Depends on what is available I suppose. I'm not sure what all the terms are but I know of the black, white, yellow. I don't know what Leucistic or Melanistic are. Green Fluorescent sounds interesting....

I'm picking up the tank this weekend so I'll get it set up first and take it from there.

lea

Reaction score
hi dave

welcome to the forum.....the people involved in this formum are great.....their knowledge is amazing and their willingness to share is the same

lea

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1