Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Releasing blue spotted salamanders?

Snakes0415

Reaction score
I have 13 blue spotted salamanders that I caught behind my house in a vernal pool when they where still in the larve stage. The vernal pool was extremely close to drying up. It was to the point where I could see the backs of the larvaes. But anyways all 13 of them are now on land and feeding normally on crickets, bloodworms, and chopped up night crawlers. I try to let them catch their own food as much as possible. But now I don't have enough space to keep them all and was wondering if I could let them go back by the vernal pool which is now full. So if someone could help me out that'd be great .

Tim S

Reaction score
You are asking the wrong people. This is a question for the Michigan Department of Natural Resources. The main concern is if you have exposed your salamanders to disease organism that might be transmitted to native wild life.

bhill368

Reaction score
Definitely contact your DNR and they will tell you the best way to go about that. It would really be unfortunate to introduce something to the local population.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!