Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: How do I get my Axies familiar with my feeding jar?

MiseryInc

Reaction score
Hey everyone!

How do I get my Axies familiar with the feeding jar? They don't seem to be eating from it, so I have to hand feed them with little feeding grips...

Also, I'm experiencing another problem, I got my new Axie called Murlo on Sunday but he hasn't eaten a single thing (according to my knowledge) and I feel really bad for him/her! I want Murlo to be able to eat something and grow big and strong! :)

Murlo is incredibly small, about 1/3 the size of my other Axie - Whooper - but they get along great :) I saw on another post that they have to be taught to eat? If so how?

Thanks!

FX1C

Reaction score
I take it you didn't quarantine your new lotl before adding to your existing tank & axolotl... this is never a good idea & watching them for a good period of time to see if there are any obvious problems & that things like poop are clear of parasites. Also with a substantial size difference I would get ready to divide your tank if needed.

As for a feeding jar when I introduced mine to it I gently guided them to it until they went into the opening - there was a slight freak out but once food was discovered it didn't take long for them to work out how to get in to eat :)

<3 >o_o< <3

MiseryInc

Reaction score
I didnt quarantine either of them, no. However, today there was some small poop and big poop and they all looked "clear" of any wriggly things to me. I'll make sure I check them for the next few weeks.

The thing is, my little one still wont eat the bloodworms? I keep tempting her and she still hasnt eaten since Sunday! :S Im scared :( What should I do? Dig up some Earthworms and chop them real small for her?

pondweed

Reaction score
He's possibly stressed from the move to a new home — and possibly stressed from having an Axolotl that's so much bigger than him (a potential predator?) around. No matter how much it looks to human eyes like they're getting along.

You can't do anything about quarantining them now, but I think it wouldn't hurt to put him either in a separate tank or tupperware tub and changing the dechlorinated water daily (and scrubbing out with bicarb and non-iodised salt every second day), until she's caught up in size with your original 'Lotl. Or else get a tank divider in, and give the little one plenty of hides so he feels more secure and inclined to eat.

If he persists in being disinterested in food, someone might have other suggestions. Or better than the ones I've given above. (Based on reading threads here of 'Lotls in similar situations.)

Petersgirl

Reaction score
Pondweed had some great suggestions, but I would recommend trying the Earthworms too. Your new Lotl may not have been fed bloodworms or anything like that where you got them from, not to mention live worms are tasty and full of nutrients!

You should be safe taking earthworms from your garden as long as you don't use pesticides or chemicals in it. Give the worms a wash and cut them with scissors if they're too large (longer than Murlo's mouth). You can either hand feed (which stops them swallowing sand if you have it, and also teaches them to look up for their food) or use a turkey baster or similar to put the food in front of his/her mouth. Give the worm a little wriggle and they should snap it off you no problem! The thing is that they need to associate you with good things - your axolotls will come to see you as the bearer of food, and get excited when they hear the top of the tank being moved (as this is a prelude to dinner). They will also watch you and follow you around the room. The best way to do this is to feed them - after this you and the food will be the highlight of their day!

I would suggest separating Murlo until he/she is as big as your original lotl as Pondweed said, mainly because there is a bit of size difference. You could use a divider for this, which will allow them to get each others' scents but not actually come into contact. You can make one very cheaply by cutting a condensation board (basically a sturdy piece of plastic) to fit, which usually costs £6 or less. I did this when I first got Galaxy, my second lotl. By the time I got Galaxy, Toothless was 7" and Galaxy was 5 and a half inches. I quarantined Gally for around a week (30 days is better really, but I was changing to a brand new 2 foot tank and decided to move them in together) and separated them using a divider for 3 days before letting them see each other. There were a few cautionary nips, but ever since, they've got on really well. They mostly give each other space but will sometimes swim and climb on each other, and can often be seen just hanging out in the tank.

If you want to use a feeding jar it does take a bit of time. Toothless wouldn't eat out of hers for three days and I started to get worried because she was only small at the time. I realised that you have to put the jar in and leave it (don't keep moving it around, like I did, as it only freaks the axxie out) and be prepared to be VERY patient. It took Toothless an hour and a half to figure out how to get into the jar, and longer to figure out how to get out. You can carry on feeding bloodworms by all means, but my two adore earthworms and they are meant to be one of the best foods for them, not to mention the wriggling may well stimulate Murlo's appetite!

Sorry for the long post, and good luck!

Krispen

Reaction score
I just started using the food jar for my axies- this works for me: take out the jar full of aquarium water: strain out old food pouring water back in tank; replace water and float blood worm cubes in jar until thawed. I used to thaw them in a separate bowl and rinse/drain them but I find the more blood, etc is in the jar the easier the axies are drawn to it. Carefully lower back into tank. I agree- the same spot every time: ImageUploadedByTapatalk1369884433.308511.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1369884448.570820.jpg

Krispen

Reaction score
Amendment- today I just sucked out old bloodworms with turkey baster an tossed- pushed frozen cube in jar already in tank- it floated at top of jar then came down. Much easier- they immediately came swimming!

Dipsy66

Reaction score
I just started using the food jar for my axies- this works for me: take out the jar full of aquarium water: strain out old food pouring water back in tank; replace water and float blood worm cubes in jar until thawed. I used to thaw them in a separate bowl and rinse/drain them but I find the more blood, etc is in the jar the easier the axies are drawn to it. Carefully lower back into tank. I agree- the same spot every time:View attachment 31213View attachment 31214

Wow! I know the above advice was for someone else but I was wondering just how you got them to go into the jar...this forum is brilliant. Keep up the good advise guys and gals...it's sooooo useful. :happy:

FX1C

Reaction score
Amendment- today I just sucked out old bloodworms with turkey baster an tossed- pushed frozen cube in jar already in tank- it floated at top of jar then came down. Much easier- they immediately came swimming!

You should always thaw the bloodworm cubes in a glass of tank water before adding to the tank/jar - then suck up just the worms with a turkey baster try to suck up / transfer a minimal amount of water then feed to axies - this way any water that was frozen in with them is diluted and not added to the tank.

Feeding frozen cubes of bloodworms is also bad as the ice crystals can scratch the delicate mouth of the axolotl.

<3 >o_o< <3

Candy

Reaction score
Thanks for the info on this. I tried a feeding dish but that was disasterous! Bloodworms went everywhere.

Howie

Reaction score
I just stuck mine close to were the were hiding, they could see it from the hiding spec but positioned it so when they came out it was right there, no problems.

discordia

Reaction score
Oh my gosh, this is awesome! I'm a fairly new axol owner and I'd never even heard about jar feeding! The things you learn from joining a forum... :)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!