Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Graham's Slate Bottom Tank Attempt #1 - Coloring Your Own Caulk

loadedsith

Reaction score
I wanna start by saying, The more I learn the less I know. If you've found a problem with what I've done, I wanna know about it so much more then you could ever hurt my feelings. I'm new here but I'm even newer to keeping amphibians, heck any animal other then a single betta.

I've learned a lot doing this project, and I even innovated, so to not share it as flawed as it may be, seems a shame. I wanna start by saying that everything I've done right belongs to the intelligence of the internet, specifically FrogEyes (from caudata.org), a lone salesmen at Granger, and my father. Everything I've done wrong is my own err.

Thanks, Here we go!

The project was to attach some slate to the bottom of my aquarium.

The Slate

The slate was easy enough, Lowe's carries slate tiles, which are 12 x 12in, and they will cut 4 cuts for you for free.

My 10 gallon tank is 10 x 20in, outside dimensions, it is 12in tall but that’s not important. I had a Lowe’s employee cut the tile to 9.5in by 9.75in. and kept scraps.

This was a very good fit, much tighter then I had expected for 2 reasons: First, the glass has its own width, but also because the caulking which was already holding the structure together has its own width, and in my cheap-o tank, there is allot! For these reasons, I had the tile cut with a half inch of space in each dimension. The slate was actually about slightly too large, I masked with tape and cut the offending ¼ inch with a hack saw, ruining 2 blades (sorry dad, I’ll replacem’ I swear!). I even ground off the hacksaw markings on the concrete sidewalk by my house. You can see the seams here, in the still drying product.

IMG_0035.jpg

The Caulk

Use gloves and in a well ventilated area.

I used GE RTV 108, Translucent Silicone. I bought white as well, but the clear worked so well I decided to not even test the white. I used this because it seemed to be highly rated, particularly in this thread, Aquarium safe silicone? - The Reef Tank .

IMG_0037.jpg

The colors, white, clear, and black, are distinguished by a printed label on the tube.

IMG_0038.jpg

In my discussions with FrogEyes he instructed me to buy kid safe Oil paints, which may still be the best bet, but I couldn’t find any. I bought some oil paints with the “AP” seal. After talking to the guy at Granger -- who was the only person, other then FrogEyes, who didn’t think I was crazy when I told him I was going to dye my own caulk-- I decided on one of two products: Dry Pigments added directly to the caulk, or Silicone paints which seem to be caulk with pigment already added.

After doing lots of research I stumbled upon a website selling “natural pigments” Slate Pigment | The Earth Pigments Company . They even sell slate!

Their slate pigment is “Ground Schist”. Sounds good right, but I decided I’d try my own hand at making pigment.

I made a smallish chunk of slate easily, broken off my extra slate pieces using a razor blade and a natural seam. I wrapped the chunk several times in a paper towel and beat it with hammer. Periodically I sifted the rock through a wire mesh designed for straining tea, sorting the large bits back in to the towel, the medium bits to one pile and the fine power to a third.

IMG_0036.jpg

As you can see, my color is really good, sampled on a bit of slate to the right. The brown was made with the oil paint, but I decided to go with the custom slate pigment.

I used the plastic tool you see there, and a larger mixing type tool, both found in the oil paint department, to push the silicone down in to the groves, but did not apply silicone to the bottom of the tank, which is likely to remain a pocket of air, or spring a leak. I made no attempt to seal it because I assume cutting it out easier out weighs gluing them in more. I used clear caulk around the outside and the slate caulk down the middle, then I sprinkled in the small rocks.

IMG_0034.jpg

It’s still drying. I’ll post more picks when its got water in it, but between now and then I need to clean it up the edges and rub some of the silicone off the floor, and an axolotl. I guess we can cross our fingers for the longevity of the custom silicone!

Gromky

Reaction score
Wow! The only concern I have at all, is that I don't feel 10 gallons is enough for an adult axolotl. But that's a bit debatable, and only a consideration for the future.

The idea is brilliant, and beautiful. I use larger stones to avoid impaction, because I don't like messy bare bottoms...but the slate is a great way to go. Especially for younger axies.

If you do another, you can rent a wet saw for not a ton of money, but maybe have your dad check if friends have one. I own a tile saw, and know a good number of homeowners who do...find one and you're set. Luckily, slate is soft and the hacksaw worked (try that with ceramic and it would have been ugly).

Durability should be fine. Silicone is damn near indestructible. The sealing on tank can go over the years as material is forced behind it, but very little will actually damage it.

loadedsith

Reaction score
Oh yeah, the 10 gallon is probably not big enough, I've actually got 2 axolotls in there, and before they grow to adulthood they will get a number of upgrades, including a much larger tank, i've got my eye on craigslist for the future. Their only 3-4 inches now :)

evershine

Reaction score
Love this idea.
I am researching substraits as I currently have large river stones and find it very messy and the axies don't like the sound of the stones being moved around so I can get the poo out.
I was also thinking of sand, but was concerned about the mess and didn't think they would appreciate a slippery glass bottom.
i would love to know how this is working for you.

loadedsith

Reaction score
Well its been a few months and I've gotta say, I love my slate bottom.

If I have to complain there are 2 issues.

1) My slate is nearly the same color as my natural Axolotl so he's hard to find without a flashlight, which he hates!
No big deal really as he's pretty much always hiding in the same place, a cave made from scraps of slate.

2) The little chips of rock which soften the transition from caulk to slate are imperfect, some times it feels dirty.

I managed to find a slate aquarium backing, and on a clearance table too! so the tank is looking good!

Oh, and it was cycling in about 4 weeks, probably would have been less if i had my API master kit when I started :)

I'll post the picks i was intending to post here, as soon as i find my adapter!

loadedsith

Reaction score
Just wanted to do a year later or so update.

Everything is going great! The Axolotls are happy, they seem to be a mated pair! I got rid of the eggs thanks to caudata.org. I don't know if there were any specific concerns, I've failed to address, but I'd say this just works! I'm considering doing it all over again with a new 25-30 gallon tank!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1