Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Cool temperatures?

natuhlee

Reaction score
Does anyone have advice on how to keep a newt tank cool? Mine is averaging in the upper 60s with a CFL bulb (is that what theyre called? Its the kind that barely gives off heat) and noheater. Thanks! :eek:

CatSpit

Reaction score
What kind of newt(s) do you have? For example, if they are Chinese Fire Belly Newts, you are at the upper range of their ideal temperature - they prefer 14-20°C/58-68°F.

natuhlee

Reaction score
They're fire bellies, the store I got them at said they're from Indonesia? Do you happen to know what their preferred temperature range is? :)

natuhlee

Reaction score
That article is pretty cool! My dorm at school doesnt have air conditioning so im a little worried about them for the last couple weeks of school. Once im home, they can hang out downstairs where it's cool!

Asevernnnn

Reaction score
This is what I do when my temps are at around 71F, usually cools it down a couple degrees depending on the fan angle, I refuse to let my water temp get above 76F no matter what, there's almost always a few fans on or a couple open windows too, sunny days will get the ceiling of my room(temp is on a clock) to 80-90F which makes me miserable, but the water temp usually stays in a safe range, the smaller tanks never getting above 71 usually. In the winter I'll still have my windows open and my room will be like 40F. Having a room that has the sun facing it all the time is the worst.

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1426365651.511850.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1426365651.511850.jpg
    315.5 KB · Views: 164

CatSpit

Reaction score
They're fire bellies, the store I got them at said they're from Indonesia? Do you happen to know what their preferred temperature range is? :)

Do you have any pictures of them, then I am sure someone here could help you identify what kind they are...

Edit: this is also a very good link with pictures and descriptions of different newts:

http://www.caudata.org/cc/species/Salamandridae.shtml

Last edited:

natuhlee

Reaction score
The frozen water bottles are working well and they're exploring the water for the first time. So cute! Here's some pictures of them. Anyone know what they are? Let me know if you need more or different pictures.

Attachments

• 1424995058641.jpg
    1424995058641.jpg
    85 KB · Views: 162
  • 20150228_223141.jpg
    20150228_223141.jpg
    121.1 KB · Views: 149
  • 1424996305071.jpg
    1424996305071.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 158

Asevernnnn

Reaction score
The frozen water bottles are working well and they're exploring the water for the first time. So cute! Here's some pictures of them. Anyone know what they are? Let me know if you need more or different pictures.

They are Hypselotriton orientalis, they do best in cool temp heavily planted tanks, with at least 10 gallons of water, mine rarely leave the water and only require a piece of floating cork bark.
If adapted to land, it can be reversed by putting it in a very shallow aquatic setup with several live plants and no completely dry land, with increases in water level every few weeks

natuhlee

Reaction score
Cool!! That explains their little dots! Theyre getting used to the water now that its full of plants.

natuhlee

Reaction score
However, the one that's gone in the water most seems rather uninterested in food right now. I feed them live black worms and they gobble them up. Is that normal when they're adapting to the water to not want to eat?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!