Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: How many plants for a 10 gal tank?

moth

Reaction score
I've been planning and reading up on keeping one fire bellied newt and what I'll need in the tank, and so far it seems plants with a sponge filter are the best filtration (or no sponge filter at all). But I'm not sure how much is too much or how much is not enough as far as plants go.

To go along with that, what are some of the best types of plants to keep in the colder environment the newts like?

( I haven't bought anything yet. I'm still heavily in my planning stages, I've read all the articles Caudata Culture had to offer and all. I do have my eyes on a 10 gal tank at a pet store that's on sale, though. I also plan to find a breeder to buy the newt from as I know most pet stores are not good with them. )

edit. Is there a way to have a tank with out live plants but still have decent filtration ? Would 'moss balls' (the little green algae balls), or the like work as well ?

Chinadog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi, welcome to the site. :) It's nice to see someone researching before rather than after getting animals!
You really can't have too many plants for firebellies, the more the better. Even if you can't see from one side of the tank to the other the newts will still be very happy. It doesn't matter what kind of plants either, just the cheap bunched stuff that petstores sell is perfect.
Sure you can have excellent filtration without plants, they help a tank cycle much quicker and mean far less tank maintenance is needed, but its possible to get by without them.
However, for Japanese/Chinese firebellies live plants are essential. They will spend most of their time crawling through the stems and leaves and are dependent on them for laying eggs in the breeding season.
If you can't have at least some live plants it would be better to look at species that don't need them so much, Neurergus kaiseri spring to mind, but I'm sure there are plenty of others.

JM29

Reaction score
I totally agree with Chinadog and this advice is also good for other caudates.
If the plants grow fast, they help keeping a good water quality.

But if they grow fast, you'll have to remove some plants in excess from time to time.
Please don't throw your excess plants in a river or a pond : some aquatic plants like the elodea Egeria densa or the water pest Ludwigia peploides can become invasive.

moth

Reaction score
Thank you both!! Though, because of the almost impossibility of getting hold of a CB newt I think I'll be setting my sights on an Axolotl which seems a bit better and more realistic for me.
One day I hope to get one, but I'll wait 'till they're being breed in captive more widely.

Thecomickid

Reaction score
Yes, exactly i have a bunch of plants in my newts tanks, if you still cant find fire bellied newts, mine just laid a bunch of eggs and many have hatched, you can buy some if you want

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!