Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Temperature Fluctuations

P8riots12

Reaction score
Hey,

I received my first axolotl yesterday and have been keeping it in a 10 gallon tank. Using various methods like adjusting AC, placing fans, changing hoods, and removing lights, I lowered the temperature from 71.2 degrees Fahrenheit to 65.1 over a period of 19 hours. I will be getting a better fan tomorrow so that number will decrease further to what I've read is the ideal range.

Is the pace of this temperature change okay for a month-old axolotl? I believe he is okay, he ate the frozen brine shrimp I fed him eagerly. I would like to find out how much temp change is too much too fast though, if anyone has an idea. Thanks!

ContentDeleted

Reaction score
Hey,

I received my first axolotl yesterday and have been keeping it in a 10 gallon tank. Using various methods like adjusting AC, placing fans, changing hoods, and removing lights, I lowered the temperature from 71.2 degrees Fahrenheit to 65.1 over a period of 19 hours. I will be getting a better fan tomorrow so that number will decrease further to what I've read is the ideal range.

Is the pace of this temperature change okay for a month-old axolotl? I believe he is okay, he ate the frozen brine shrimp I fed him eagerly. I would like to find out how much temp change is too much too fast though, if anyone has an idea. Thanks!
It should be alright. If you feel the need to make hotter tanks cooler, use frozen water bottles without the strip and gunk.

Enviado desde mi SM-G935T mediante Tapatalk

Blackbun

Reaction score
You're obviously a conscientious and dedicated keeper. In the wild, small pools with large surface areas and low water depth are prone to wildly fluctuation temperatures with many amphibians coping with the lower end very well. Can you maintain these artificially induced conditions within a constant temperature range? I'm not sure which state you' live in but I know from my time in AZ and TX that high environmental temperatures are a significant issue. What you choose to do has to be manageable. Without sounding negative, will you be able to put a frozen bottle of water in the tank every day and given the temperature exchange of ice will fluctuate according to the size of the ice lump which will therefore change with time.Have you chosen the most appropriate place in your home?

Just a quick look; marine fish keepers seem to have this sorted.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s/?ie=UTF8...&hvtargid=kwd-10068703&ref=pd_sl_6igflvv1t1_b

Good luck

Last edited:

P8riots12

Reaction score
Thank you, I live in North Carolina we have mostly moderate-hot temperatures but usually nothing that couldn't be addressed. I looked into some of those chillers and when my axolotl has grown and I move up to 20 gallons or so, I will invest in one.

I had a rotation of 9 frozen bottles going for the first day, switching out every half hour (by recording the temperature every five minutes for the first few bottles you can figure out how often to switch out bottles to keep the amount of ice relatively consistent and temperature stable). It works well and I would recommend it to anyone who can put that much effort in but I did not find that sustainable, to your point.

For now temp has stabilized to 66.2-66.6 with a good setup that can be easily maintained, and it is a typical mid 70s day outside so I know that most days will be fine. Thanks for the help

smoteymote

Reaction score
Thank you, I live in North Carolina we have mostly moderate-hot temperatures but usually nothing that couldn't be addressed. I looked into some of those chillers and when my axolotl has grown and I move up to 20 gallons or so, I will invest in one.

I had a rotation of 9 frozen bottles going for the first day, switching out every half hour (by recording the temperature every five minutes for the first few bottles you can figure out how often to switch out bottles to keep the amount of ice relatively consistent and temperature stable). It works well and I would recommend it to anyone who can put that much effort in but I did not find that sustainable, to your point.

For now temp has stabilized to 66.2-66.6 with a good setup that can be easily maintained, and it is a typical mid 70s day outside so I know that most days will be fine. Thanks for the help

I know this was a year ago but I'm wondering what your setup is now! I'm also in NC and want to get my first axolotl but I'm running an empty 10g tank (old betta tank) to see if I can keep my temperature stable. We're doing the whole heat-wave thing right now and while I know a fan will help (waiting on mine to arrive) I'm still anxious about temperature fluctuations!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1