Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: Bubbles or foam building up near the filter

HeyJey

Reaction score
I'm planning on getting two axolotls. I have had water in the tank for about a week and a half now, without any axolotls actually in it. I have noticed that there has been some kind of bubbles, or foam building up near and on the filter, is this something I should be concerned about and should I take action?

Another question. Do you have any tips on how to keep the water temperature consistently cool?

Thank you for the help in advance.

Attachments

• 20191015_190035.jpg
    20191015_190035.jpg
    401 KB · Views: 175

Hayleyy

Reaction score
I think that's just air bubbles from the output, I just checked mine and I have some bubbles too.
What temperature have you been able to get it down to? A fan pointed at the surface of the water can drop it a few degrees but if you need to bring it down more you may want to invest in a chiller. They are expensive but you can sometimes find second hand ones. In emergencies you can use frozen water bottles, but since this can cause temp fluctuations I would only use it sparingly.
What lid do you have on the tank? If the water level is 20-30cm below the top of the tank you could go without a lid. Otherwise it's pretty easy to make a mesh cover. Having something open/mesh will help keep the tank cooler than an enclosed lid.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!