Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

SOS! please help!

biotech1

Reaction score
I have a very sick axolotl. Her gills have lost the tips, have completely stress curled, and have gone completely pale. She stopped eating a few days ago. I have tubbed her but it does not seem to have helped. Now she is peeling her slime coat. And she has now gone unresponsive. I do not know the perimeters of the water. I have ordered a master test kit but it will not get here for a few days, Water at around 67 degrees F. I have tried feeding her frozen bloodworms, frozen brine shrimp, candaian nightcrawlers, red wrigglers, repashy meat pie, and repashy grub pie, she refuses it all. I am so worried about her.
She is around 5 inches.
Please help with any info you have!

Hayleyy

Reaction score
Attach some pictures if you can so we can see how bad it is. Once you get the test kit post the parameters too. Is there a local fish store/pet store that you can take a sample of water to? In the meantime make sure to change 100% of the tubbed water daily. Keep it cool. You can also start doing some tea baths to help with the slime coat.

biotech1

Reaction score
I will attach some pics later. I will be able to test the PH and ammonia in a few hours as well. I have been doing 100% water changes twice daily. And i have a frozen water bottle in with it to keep the water cool. How would i preform a tea bath? I tried before and when i put her in it she totally freaked out and near jumped out and freaked out till i took her out. So i must have done something wrong. I did boiled black tea and waited for it to cool down. Then mixed it with water at about a quarter or 1/3 tea to water ratio.

Hayleyy

Reaction score
http://www.caudata.org/cc/articles/illness2.shtml Scroll down on this for the tea bath tutorial. It can be a bit shocking for the axolotl at first but they usually calm down quickly. You could also have it sit in a tea bath for 15 minutes while you do a water change in the tub so it isn't in the tea 24/7. This is what I usually do for my axolotls. Another thing that can help the slime coat in the long run once she is back in the main tank is to add some indian almond leaves. I always have one in my tank. Hope this is helpful!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!