Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Illness/Sickness: White stuff (fungus?) on axolotl's head

StompyChicken

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I am concerned about my axolotl as I just noticed that he has white flakes on his head. It almost looks like skin shed (see pics) is it a fungal infection? I have never seen this before.

Some extra info:
He lives in a 40gal tank with one other axolotl. They are 8 months old and I've owned them since they were a few weeks old. Water stays around 65-70 F but I've had continuous trouble with their water quality. PH seems to hang around the low side (6.5) and nitrites tend to be high(cycle crash? Not sure why this is). They eat about 3-4 times a week (red wigglers, pellets, blood worms, dubias). I will check water parameters again when I get home.

Please let me know if I missed any important info! I just want to get him healthy again asap.

Attachments

• 20181015_124917.jpg
    20181015_124917.jpg
    201.1 KB · Views: 427
  • 20181015_124858.jpg
    20181015_124858.jpg
    298.6 KB · Views: 159

ophelia123

Reaction score
Hope he's better by now! If he still seems under the weather, I would recommend salt baths and friding. Other than that make a special effort to keep his water clean-a little bit more water changes.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!