Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Any quirks about your axolotls?

astroaxo

Reaction score
Hey! Just thought it would be cool to hear about physical or behavioural quirks about your axolotls! They might not be as expressive as pets such as dogs, but all axolotls have unique features to them.

For example, my axie, Bean, has the normal amount of toes, but six on one of her back legs. I assume it must be from an injury to her foot before I got her where she had to grow it back.

What about you guys?

tundrabadger

Reaction score
Virginia has one gill that is permanently flopped forward, I assume from an injury as well...and, actually, a similar toe deal on one of her front feet. I got her when she was a shade under two, I have no idea what happened to her or when, but she's pretty happy and vigorous, so there doesn't seem to be lasting ill effect. The funny thing is, I have seen her do the gills curled forward from stress and even the wonky gill looks markedly different.

Hayleyy

Reaction score
Bucky lost his arm (hence the name) and it has since regrown slightly smaller than the other. He is also missing a gill stalk on one side so he always looks lopsided (I can see where it should be, between the other two, it grew back super small). He is a wildtype but has turned almost completely black.
Steve is a copper and has a big beauty mark above his lip.
Steve is more shy and hides from the light. Bucky comes out when the light is on and likes to follow me around. If they see my hand anywhere near the top of the tank they start trying to gulp down food that isn't even in the water yet :rolleyes:
I also refer to them both as he/him but they are females lol

ClockworkCan

Reaction score
My boy, Skeletor, knows when it is feeding time and will sit in his food dish (which he is much too large for) and will patiently beg until I feed him. I usually have to scoot him out of the way a little to get the food in there.

kcoscia

Reaction score
All 3 of mine are about 4 years old.
Daisy likes to float around at the tank surface. Fox likes to climb the plants and chill.
They all like to stack on top of each other in the corner and watch me feed their neighbor - Peanut the crested gecko.

Axiloveforlife

Reaction score
Please I need help I'm a new axi keeper I have two juveniles and their always stressed. Just know before I got them I did days of research and know everything about them every thing is visibly ok the temps 64 degrees the ph is 7.2 and I have them in a 20 long with a slow sponge filter a plant a moss ball and two pvc pipes. Please i need to know how to fix this

tundrabadger

Reaction score
what signs of stress are they showing? you've given us ph and temp, those are good to know. could you tell us the levels of ammonia, nitrites and nitrates?

also a few general questions. is the tank in direct sunlight? Are they eating and pooping? how long have you had them?

FreckledLottles

Reaction score
My little dude stands like a person a lot. He'll stand on his back legs, straight up in the water, sometimes lean on, either, the tank walls or one of his hides with one of his front legs. He also floats his top half at, around, a 35 degree angle for a little bit after he eats.

tundrabadger

Reaction score
My little dude stands like a person a lot. He'll stand on his back legs, straight up in the water, sometimes lean on, either, the tank walls or one of his hides with one of his front legs. He also floats his top half at, around, a 35 degree angle for a little bit after he eats.

My youngest does something very similar only not quite upright, like a t-rex. it's...kind of awesome, but I've never been able to get a picture of it.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1