Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Tiger sal not eating - seasonal?

fragment

Reaction score
So I've had this tiger salamander for a little over a year now - I call it a "she" but I'm not actually sure if it's male or female. Supposedly she was CB or at the very least raised from a larva in captivity.

She's always been a huge pig, but for the past 1-2 months now (bad memory) she's had barely any interest in eating at all, not even her favorite waxworms. Is it pretty normal for tiger salamanders to go off their food this time of year, or is it that something's wrong? She doesn't look ill as far as I can tell, maybe just a tad bit thinner around the middle.

Care info: I keep her in a 20 gallon glass tank on about 5 inches of a topsoil/peat mixture, with several hides and a water dish big enough to soak in. No special lighting or heating. The temps are around 70-72 F at the moment, and in the summer they're around 73-76. I only feed her off tweezers, so impaction from swallowing dirt while trying to eat shouldn't be a possibility.

Luxquine

Reaction score
She might be entering a hibernation state. Is she starting to dig and hide for longer periods than usual?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!