Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Tank Size

jessshaleah

Reaction score
Hi!

I have a 55 litre tank (14.5 gallons). Would this be an acceptable size for a juvenile axolotl? If so, what size/age of the axolotl would I need to upgrade the size? I’ll be getting a bigger tank next year regardless but I just wanted to know when I definitely should start thinking about doing that. Also, what is an ideal tank size for an adult?

Thank you!

Giuseppe

Reaction score
Good rule of thumb is 20 gallons for the first axolotl + 10 for each additional. A juvi should be ok in that tank, when I first got my 5-6" he was in a 10 gallon for about two months before I was able to upgrade and he didn't seem uncomfortable, but when I did move him to a 29 he used the space!

colorfultrolls

Reaction score
I agree with Giusppe! My tank is a 33 gallon and my juvenile (5 inches) uses up all of the space that he's given as well as all of the hides that are scattered around.

Devilfish888

Reaction score
Do any of you have experience housing 3x juvi axolotl in a 29 gallon tank? 30x12x18 is my set up and I currently have 2x axolotl around 6 inches. Seems like the tank is really still big for them and has excess water since my tank is high. Would adding another juvi be ok?

Giuseppe

Reaction score
Personally I wouldn't add another. The two in there will fill out the tank better eventually and they will appreciate the room and itll be easier to keep params safe. Usually you want a tank that has more floor space than height, but I also use a tall tank and in order to help the axi use all the space I use suction cup ledges and turtle docks to give them more levels for walking/resting room

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!