Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

How to encourage a successful breeding?

DeCypher

Reaction score
Hello all, I have one male and two females that are all ready for breeding. At the beginning of February I moved them from upstairs (70F) to the basement (60F). Within 48 hours I found 2 spermatophores from the male, however his attempt was unsuccessful because eggs were never laid. Is there anything I can manipulate with the lighting, temperature, or other parameters to encourage breeding? In the pics below the leucistic is my male, and the 2 albinos are my females :)

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 289
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 207
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 199
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    104.4 KB · Views: 223
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 205

Viking

Reaction score
I would put either or both yarn spawn mops and live plants like hornwort or java plant for the eggs. It makes it easier to remove the eggs. My female liked put them near middle area and near the sponge filter.

A big water change with cool water helps during the time when a storm front is moving through the area.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!