Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Where to get an Axolotl

blutes

Reaction score
We are in need of an office axolotl. We're in San FRancisco. Can you point me to a breeder or some place to get one?

Nathan050793

Reaction score
It is my understanding that it is illegal to keep all Ambystomatids, including axolotls in the sate of California.

If you do wish to find one, the "for sale" section of the forum is the best place to look.

Good Luck!

bobberly1

Reaction score
That's pathetic. What do all of the California enthusiasts do?

When you have stricter wildlife regulations then Australia, you know there's a problem.

crazy4f4i

Reaction score
can anyone site a specific law? people always say they are illegal but then cant prove it. im in CA and heard it was illegal to own them. my local pet shop has had axolotls in the past (recently i might add). someone there said it was illegal but then last week i was in there and was told that it was only a rumor and now they are hard to come by in CA. either way i am looking to buy up to 4 if anyone has any i would like to buy them.

mberray

Reaction score
That's pathetic. What do all of the California enthusiasts do?

When you have stricter wildlife regulations then Australia, you know there's a problem.

No, you have a problem when a non-native species is dumped and it takes over and destroys an ecosystem. There are laws for a reason. Check out Quagga mussels in Lake Mead - we're very worried they may shut down power production at Hoover Dam.

coichards

Reaction score
I think the law in australia is to protect our natives, and what happened after the cane toads...
well...good to see we have learned from the consequences.

kira

Reaction score

I'd hardly say that's true. Everyone has wildlife regulations for good reasons. I mean we have like a million wild rabbits jumping around everywhere, and yet NO ONE in Queensland is allowed to own one despite the fact that they are EVERYWHERE. I hardly think that Australia needed to be brought into this. You just have to accept that things are the way they are and get over it.

Velaria

Reaction score
I live in CA and I've had axolotls shipped to me. I've also seen them in local pet stores. Illegal??

John

Founder
Staff member
Reaction score
I live in CA and I've had axolotls shipped to me. I've also seen them in local pet stores. Illegal??
Yes. And you should be aware that the relevant government departments check sites like this.

S

steffiegirl914

**From Kaysie: Axolotls are illegal in California. Please do not assist others in breaking the law. **

Last edited by a moderator:
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!