Safe way to lower high ammonia levels

Cheva

Reaction score
Country
Australia
my ammonia levels have skyrocketed... recent test shows it about 3.. yes high.. is there a safe way or recommended product i should get?

nitrites and nitrates are both 0
ph is 7 and temp is usually between 17-20 degrees.. (introducing frozen bottles tomorrow)

imguessing lost/hidden bloodworms could be a cause?

First step: take the axolotl(s) out of the tank immediately! Keep it/them in bucket(s) with daily 100% water changes until the tank has zero ammonia. This should be a week or so. Feed them just the absolute bare minimum during this period.

Decaying food is usually to blame for very high ammonia levels. Large rocks + bloodworms are a deadly combination.

How long has the tank been set up? (Or how long since you did a total clean-out?) The first month is the period that these problems are most likely. See:
Caudata Culture Articles - Cycling

Don't try a quick fix solution. There are products out there that claim to detoxify ammonia, but these don't get at the root of the problem, and they may prevent the tank from cycling correctly. Do some small scale water changes, but do NOT be tempted to tear the tank down and start over.

tank has been up about 4 weeks..

Alex is out in a nice clean and large glass bowl..

Removed decorations/hides and found way too many escaped/hidden bloodworms to scooped them out .. Did a 50% change..

Picked up earthworms last night so am super relieved he will have a less "messy" diet from now all .. also discovered my filter isnt really suitable (thanks fish shop guy) as its only for about a 15L tank.. So ive lowered the water level to suit but definately on the hunt for a larger filter..

Will monitor the water for a few days and fingers crossed his home recovers soon :)

Keeping him out isnt ideal as the house is also occupied by little fingers, a dog and my neighbours cat who sometimes visit.

Last edited:
When feeding blood worms to your axies put the blood worm in a clean jam jar or equivalent. This contains the mess and easy to clean.

Sent from my HTC Sensation XE with Beats Audio using Tapatalk 2

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back