Axolotl gills

McCherry

Reaction score
Country
Belgium
Sorry that I post so much guys but I'm just really worried my axolotls aren't settling in. I've had my big axolotl for 2 weeks now and my little one I've picked up wednesday. But the big one has some of his gills pointing out, is this a sign of stress? If so what can I do to make him feel better? I do weekly water changes and my filter is on the low setting because the current can't be high.

Gills curled forward can be a sign of stress, if they are just sticking out sideways it is perfectly natural. If you are worried about the axolotl being stressed check the water peramiters, if they are ok and the axolotl is feeding there is probably nothing to worry about.

I think my water is fine, the temperature is right and it has settled for 4 weeks before I bought my axolotl, he also eats every time I feed him so...

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back