The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Notices

Axolotl General Discussion Open axolotl forum: if it doesn't fit in the sub-topics then post it here.

Old 1 Week Ago   #1
Megan
(noodles)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: noodles is an unknown quantity at this point
Unhappy White wriggly worms in the tank?

I put sand on the bottom of my axalotls 3ft tank in febuary,soon after i noticed white wriggly worms swimming around.There were soon hundreds so i completely got rid of the sand.I now have bare bottom and while the numbers have decreased i still notice a fair amount and i cant quite figure out what they are?I have been feeding earthworms and have not introduced any live plants or tank mates.
INFO ABOUT THE WORMS -
they look white or almost transparent but out of the water they look more orange.I noticed they will go to the top of the water when disturbed(if im cleaning the tank) and usually congregate in the corners of the tank furthest from the filter when i have the UVB light on close to the tank(i only turn this on while cleaning or for my gecko,it isnt on 24?7)
can anyone help?how can i kill these as i want to add sand but fear the population will grow out of control.

noodles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #2
Hayleyy

Nationality:
Comments: 1
Rep: Hayleyy has given good advice and informationHayleyy has given good advice and information
Default Re: White wriggly worms in the tank?

I think I remember reading that they are planaria, and harmless. They just look ugly. I've also got an outbreak of them so will await suggestions :)

Hayleyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #3
Megan
(noodles)

Nationality:
Rep: noodles is an unknown quantity at this point

mine dont look like planaria but are instead more thread like,since posting ive researched a tonne and i think my only solution is to do a 100% water change,clean all decor and tub the axalotl until my tank is cycled again,such a mess

noodles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #4
Hayleyy

Nationality:
Comments: 1
Rep: Hayleyy has given good advice and informationHayleyy has given good advice and information

Can you post a pic of them? I'm curious!

Hayleyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #5
RoreyRoreyRorey

Nationality:
Rep: RoreyRoreyRorey has shown reliable knowledge

They sound like detritus worms to me! I never had any issue with them. They live in almost every tank, but usually live under gravel or in the filter. They eat decaying matter like poop or uneaten food. Sometimes I get huge blooms of them in my frog tank if I pverfeed, I wouldn’t worry too much. But do please post a picture so we can confirm what they are.
By detritus worms, I mean nematodes. Just thought that I should clarify.

RoreyRoreyRorey is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
worms