Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: Discoloration?

Delirio

Reaction score
Hello,

Hope someone could give me an answer? Yesterday I was staring at Camilo (my axie) and I noticed his colour was sort of yellowish all over, and this morning I noticed he seems to have like white dots, pin needle size.
His tail (I'm just looking at him now) is like yellowish as well.
He is eating fine and the water is ok, chemical/temperature wise.
Any suggestions what should I do?
I'm adding some pictures taken today (about an hour ago) see if you can spot something, I tried to zoom in with the camera but no luck.
Thank you in advance,

Delirio

Attachments

• 01.08.11 042.jpg
    01.08.11 042.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 385
  • 01.08.11 043.jpg
    01.08.11 043.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 275
  • 01.08.11 044.jpg
    01.08.11 044.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 255

digger

Reaction score
I must say he looks perfectly fine to me, slight colour changes do occur on and off throughout their lives same as with us lol.
From what I can see I would say not to worry

fishcakey

Reaction score
Wow he's fat! I wish my baby would start growing like that... Maybe it's just one of those things where "they change colors with surroundings", but he doesn't look fungus-y at all

Delirio

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

Thank you very much for your reply. He is looking better this last few days so it was probably a thing to do with the light or as suggested, the momentarily change of colour.
And yes, he is "chubby" LOL but trust me he swims all over the tank, also once a fortnight he has a "chase the shrimp" exercise which consist of me putting a shrimp on the surface of the water, holding it with a pair of tweezers (the shrimp is tiny) and moving it so he has to come up and chase it.
Trust me he is *so* fast that more than once he ate the shrimp without even giving me the chance to move it around.
Again thank you for giving me some peace of mind regarding his skin.

Have a lovely day!

:happy::happy:
EiOK!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1