Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Bump on Axolotl's head!! What do I do

bob2143

Reaction score
Hey,
My gold axolotl Muffin has an unusual lump in the centre of his head. The bump is the same colour as his skin and it has a centre peak, very odd looking. I will upload pictures as soon as I can but would appreciate any pre-picture hypothesese. :eek: I am short of time as I am only with my axolotl for the next two weeks after which I have family looking after him, so I would appreciate quick responses.

Thanks in advance,
Nick

dragonlady

Reaction score
Did this bump just appear suddenly or has it been there for a while? My first guess, without a photo, would be that he's collided with something and if this be the case, it should heal fine under observation.

However, if this is a bump that has been there for a long period of time, there might be something else going on, such as a genetic issue or edema.

These are a few of my guesses without knowing history, water parameters, or seeing pics.

bob2143

Reaction score
Thankyou for your speedy reply,
The tank is one foot by 1/2 a foot and Muffin has lived happily in the tank for about half a year.There are no other obvious or visible symptoms, he has healthy gills (They are slightly disfigured but that is the after effect of a past illness; it does not seem to hinder his health), he is eating well and there is no sign of a fungus infection or the like.

He was sick during a cyclone about two months ago and the bump appeared then and it has stayed since, he is now much healthier but the bump still remains. I have had Muffin for a year and he has been generally quite healthy and has a very good appetite. I use frozen water bottles to keep his tank between 15 and 20 degrees Celsius and I will measure his pH after I have cleaned and neutralized the tank today. My opinion is that it's not a bump resulting from him running into something as it is in the centre of his forehead and as can be seen from the pictures has an odd central peak, however, I have no other theories.

Once again thankyou for your speedy reply,
Nick

Attachments

• Muffin1.jpg
    Muffin1.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 2,704
  • Muffin2.jpg
    Muffin2.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 2,066
  • Muffin3.jpg
    Muffin3.jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 3,742

dragonlady

Reaction score
That is very odd. I'm afraid I don't have a good answer for that one. Maybe someone else has seen something like this before and has a better explanation.

I would suggest seeking a vet's advice to rule out infection or tumor. Also from the pic, his bottom lip looks a little puffy too - is it? If so, that could be another sign of something internal going on.

Good luck - sorry I couldn't be of more help.

melfly

Reaction score
Hi
Is he eating properly? I too think his mouth looks odd and he looks a little skinny to me too.

Mel

bob2143

Reaction score
Hey guys,
He is eating fine, I will feed him a bit more if you think he looks thin, I will clean his tank as soon as I can, but there are no axolotl vets in my area: Whitsundays, Australia. I would really appreciate any help, it hasn't changed for quite a while, I don't know if that is a good thing or a bad thing.

Pretty worried guys,
Nick

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I agree that it could be something internal. A tumor or cyst or something. As you don't have a vet, and there is no obvious treatment, I think that "worry" is the only thing you can do. If it isn't changing, that's good news, as it's not progressing, or at least not quickly.

ted22

Reaction score
The bump could be a build up of fluids under the skin ive heard of lumps like this on frogs heads and they eventually burst with a little blood and puss stuff abit like a spot I guess, this is usually due to an infection but it doesnt look too sore judging from those pics so apart from taking it to a vet to get a proper diagnosis and maybe getting it drained or something i guess u just gotta ride it out. That lip on the other hand looks very sore and swollen id be concerned about that and also a 1ft x 1/2ft tank is waaay too small for an axolotl upgrade tank size quick with the speed and randomness that these guys sometimes shoot about that tank with yours could have done itself some damage in that tiny tank!

I hope he gets better soon and get him a bigger house he'll appreciate it!

>ed<

dragonlady

Reaction score
ted22 is so right about the tank size! I got so distracted by the pics, totally missed that! Please upgrade his tank to at least a 2ft x 1ft long tank.

That might be why he has a puffy lip - as ted22 said, they do like to race around every so often and they are klutzes with poor eyesight. The bump on his head does not look like the result of an injury though, so definitely keep an eye on that.

Blaze

Reaction score
I would also be concerned about that substrate. Although it looks small it could still pose an impaction risk. I also heard that coloured gravel can be quite toxic.

Good luck,
Blaze.

foxy

Reaction score
hello i was just wondering if you ever found out what was causing the bump on muffins head? i have three axels and recently one has stopped eating for about a week and a half and has now developed a lump on its head, i have read that it could be due to heat stress or just a clumsy accident? i had her xrayed to see if she had eaten any stones from the tank but here was nothing there.....

anyway if you could let me know if muffin ever lost the bump that would be cool and if your interested here is the X-ray of my axel :) Thomas Fox's Photos | Facebook

jacobkk

Reaction score
Hi.. My Axie also got a bump like that a couple of days ago.. Any news on the subject? Im very concerned :(

michel3171

Reaction score
My dog has the same kind of lump, he doesn't seem to mind it :D
But, dogs are not Axolotls.
I think it could be a Fat Clump (Clump or Lump or Bubble I am not native english :eek:)
Maybe go to a vet?

axolotl lvr

Reaction score
Wow this thread is pretty old.. guess the owner doesnt respond.... Hopefully his axie is ok

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!